About the Councillors
The Isle of Wight Council was created in 1995 as a unitary or all-purpose authority, responsible for virtually all local government activities on the Island. It replaced the former Isle of Wight County Council and the two borough councils of Medina and South Wight. In addition to the Isle of Wight Council there are 33 town and parish councils, which cover the whole Island. These look after a variety of local issues such as some recreation grounds, some amenity grass cutting and many operate other facilities in their areas.
The Isle of Wight Council has 40 elected councillors. The current political make-up is detailed below.
- 16 The Island Independents;
- 15 IW Conservative Group;
- 2 Labour Group;
- 2 UKIP Group;
- 2 Others;
- 1 Independent;
- 1 Liberal Democrat;
- 1 Sandown Independent.
To find out more about each councillor, view our Who's Who guide (PDF, September 2014), or individual member pages are available by name or by region . The full Council normally meets in the months of May, June, July, September, October, November, January, February and April in the Council Chamber at County Hall, Newport.
There are also a number of other panels, boards, partnerships and groups on which councillors are represented. In addition councillors serve on numerous outside bodies, including the Hampshire Police Authority (based in Winchester) which is responsible for the policing of both Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. At the annual meeting of the Council (usually in May in each year) a number of appointments are made to various offices.
At the Council meeting on 19 March 2014 Councillor Ian Ward was elected as Chairman of the Isle of Wight Council and Councillor Charles Chapman was elected Vice Chairman.
Other members of the Executive are:
- Leader: Cllr Ian Stephens.
- Deputy Leader, and Executive Member for Adult Social Care and Community Wellbeing: Cllr Stephen Stubbings.
- Executive Member for Children's Services and Corporate Governance: Cllr Jonathan Bacon.
- Executive Member for Planning and Licensing : Cllr Paul Fuller.
- Executive Member for Human Resources and Organisational Change: Cllr Gordon Kendall.
- Executive Member for Fire and Rescue Services and Public Health and Safety: Cllr Phil Jordan.
- Executive Member for Economy and Tourism: Cllr Shirley Smart.
- Executive Member for Sustainability: Cllr Luisa Hillard.
Other appointments are:
- Property Disposal and Capital Programme Sub Committee - Chairman: Cllr Stephen Stubbings.
- Adult, Health, Community and Wellbeing Executive Advisory Committee - Chairman: Cllr Lora Peacey-Wilcox.
- Children's Services Executive Advisory Committee - Chairman: Cllr John Howe.
- Economy and Tourism Executive Advisory Committee - Chairman: Cllr Roger Whitby-Smith.
- Environment and Public Protection Executive Advisory Committee - Chairman: Cllr John Medland.
- Scrutiny Committee – Chairman: Cllr Geoff Lumley.
- Health Scrutiny Sub Committee - Chairman: Cllr Bob Blezzard
- Appeals Committee - Chairman: Cllr Colin Richards.
- Audit Committee - Chairman: Cllr Reg Barry.
- Employment Committee - Chairman: Cllr Julia Baker-Smith.
- Licensing Committee - Chairman: Cllr Colin Richards.
- Planning Committee - Chairman:To be confirmed, Vice Chairman: Cllr Julia Baker-Smith.
- Health and Wellbeing Board - Chairman: Ian Stephens.
- IW Pension Fund Committee - Chairman: Cllr Bob Blezzard.