Isle of Wight Council

Environmental Health - Health and Safety At Work

Reporting Accidents and Ill Health

Law: Under The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR) employers, including those who are self employed, must report and keep a record of certain injuries, incidents and cases of work-related ill health and disease.

What should be reported

RIDDOR applies to all work activities but not all incidents are reportable. You must report: 

  • Deaths
  • Major injuries 
  • Over-seven-day injuries - where an employee or self-employed person is away from work or unable to perform their normal work duties for more than seven consecutive days
  • Injuries to members of the public or people not at work, where they have been taken from the scene of an accident to hospital 
  • Some work-related diseases
  • Dangerous incidents - where something happens that does not result in an injury, but could have done

You can find out which ones must be reported and how to report them from the links below.

Keeping records will help you to identify patterns of accidents and injuries, and will help when completing your risk assessment. Your insurance company may also want to see your records if there is a work-related claim. You are strongly advised to carry out an investigation into all incidents, accidents and near misses and record what you do, and any outcome.

Click here for reporting accidents and incidents at work.

Click here for investigating Accidents and Incidents.

Click here for a guide to The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulation 1995 (RIDDOR).

Click here for HSE Forms

Click here for the Accident Book.