The Isle of Wight Council is keen to assist businesses in promoting their services where the locations are considered to be suitable. Many pubs, restaurants and cafés may wish to have seating and tables outside their premises for the use of their customers. Where the pavement concerned is part of the public highway a Street Furniture Permit will need to be obtained. This is to ensure that adequate space is available for the safe and free movement of all highway users and that consideration is given to the location of the amenity in terms of possible noise disturbance for local residents and nearby shops and offices
Permits are issued under the Highways Act 1980 and each Permit has standard terms and conditions although other conditions may be added. These conditions must be adhered to and Permits are monitored throughout the year to ensure compliance.
A Street Furniture Permit is not required for:
The Isle of Wight Council’s Street Furniture Policy is used by the licensing authority to assist in the determination of applications for a Street Furniture Permit. The new policy, applicable from 1 September 2015 can be viewed by clicking here (PDF 172KB, 12 pages).
Applying for a Street Furniture Licence
To ensure that your application can be processed efficiently, please ensure that the following are included with the application:
- Application Fee – The current fee for placing items on the highway is £225, a deposit of 25% (£56.25p) is payable at the time of submitting your application form. The fee covers the cost of administration, inspection and enforcement activity. In addition to this, if you are placing your street furniture on Council owned land you will be subject to a fee for land hire. This is currently £50 per square metre per year and must also be paid before the licence can be issued.
- Include a Plan/map - Preferably to the scale 1:100 or 1:50, showing the area requiring permission, the proposed location of the tables and chairs and/or any other objects. Please note this will need to be a PDF document.
- A Photograph - Include a photograph of the proposed street furniture. Please note this will need to be in JPEG format.
- Public Liability Insurance - Proof of public liability insurance, the minimum value insured shall be £5 million.
- Planning Permission - Confirmation whether or not planning permission is required.
- Land Owner Permission - Confirmation whether or not permission is required from the land owner.
Once an application has been accepted as valid it will be subject to a 35 day consultation period, during which time notices will be placed at the premises, any adjacent premises that may be affected by the application will be notified. Should there be no valid objections to the application the Street Furniture Permit will then be issued for 12 months.
Please note: It will be the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the Permit is renewed annually, the authority will not send any reminders and any items placed illegally on the highway may be subject to enforcement procedures.
How to Apply
Online: To apply online, please click here. You will be required to log in and payment will be taken at the end of the process.
Alternatively, a copy of the application form can be downloaded by clicking here (PDF, 79 KB, 2 pages).
When you have completed your application and are happy that you have all the required information your application can be returned using one of the following methods:
By Post: The Licensing Department, Jubilee Stores, The Quay, Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30 2EH including a cheque for the required amount.
In Person: The above address, payment can be taken by cash or card at our office as detailed in the address above. Our opening times can be found by clicking on the 'Contacts' tab at the top of this page.
If you require any further guidance or clarification regarding this service you can contact us using the information found in the "Contacts" tab at the top of this page where, you can either telephone on the number provided or send us an email by using the 'Send a message to this service' tab.