Licensing - Street Trading & Charitable Collections

Charitable (Street) Collections

Street Collections

Permits for street collections are granted by the Local Authority under the provisions of the Police, Factories etc. (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act, 1916 and governed by the Model Street Collection Regulations. To view the Model Street Collection Regulations document please click here (PDF, 63KB, 1 page)

Any collection to be undertaken in a street or a public place requires a street collection permit. This includes the area between a pavement and a shop door or privately owned shopping precinct.

It is an offence to conduct a street collection in any street or public place in the Isle of Wight without the benefit of a permit.

This council will not permit more than one organisation to collect in the same area on the same day, although every effort will be made to meet the requirements of each individual organisation.

The Street Collections Policy was adopted by Isle of Wight Council Public Protection Committee at a meeting held on 7 August 1997, to view the policy click here (PDF, 14KB, 1 page). The policy will be used by the licensing authority in determining whether to grant a street collection permit. The sale of articles, magazines etc. in a public place for charitable purposes as part of a market or other such activity constitutes a street collection for which a permit would be required.  Permit holders are required to publish, at their own expense, an account of the collection proceeds in the local newspaper.

Application Process

  • To apply for a Charitable Collections - Street Collections license online please click here.
  • To apply for a Charitable Collections - House To House license online please click here.
  • To view all licence application forms click here.


No fee is payable

Public Register

The public register of existing licences/consents/permits/registrations can be viewed on the by clicking here.

Further information

If you require further clarification please do not hesitate to contact the Licensing Department by clicking this link to use the send a message to service form.