Licensing - Street Trading & Charitable Collections

Street Trading

Street Trading Information

Anyone intending to sell, expose or offer for sale any article (including a living thing) in any public place on the Isle of Wight must obtain a street trading consent issued by Isle of Wight Council.

This includes advertising the goods for sale.This applies to all current streets/roads, council car parks, recreation grounds and open spaces along with all public parks, gardens, amenity areas, sports areas, play areas and parking bays adopted by the council.

Street trading relates to:   

  • Markets.     
  • Mobile Traders.    
  • Static Traders.

A street trading consent is not required for:       

  • Selling only newspapers and periodicals.      
  • A pedlar*.     
  • Selling goods for charitable purposes (but a street collection permit will be required).

*A pedlar’s certificate is issued by the police. It allows a person to sell goods (usually trinkets, household goods and other handmade objects), travelling on foot from door to door, place to place or town to town.

The Isle of Wight Council’s Street Trading Policy is used by the licensing authority to assist in the determination of applications for a street trading consent. The new policy, applicable from 1 August 2014 can be viewed by clicking here (PDF, 256.66KB, 13 pages).

For trading at a market, applicants should obtain permission from the market organiser to trade at the market, before applying for a street trading consent. Applicants who are granted street trading consents for a market will be expected to abide by the rules of that market as well as conditions attached to the street trading consent.


A fee must be paid at the time an application is made. The fee covers the cost of administration, inspection and enforcement activity. To find out the current street trading fees and charges, please click here (PDF, 86KB, 1 page).

Public Register

The public register of existing licences, consents, permits and registrations can be viewed by clicking here

Apply for a Street Trading Consent

There is currently no online  application facility available for street trading. 

  • To apply for a street trading consent please contact us by clicking here and using the send a message to service form.

If you require further clarification please do not hesitate to contact the Licensing Department by phone or email using details in the 'Contact' tab above.