Isle of Wight Council

Licensing - Alcohol and Entertainment

Licensing Act 2003

Service Update

Regulatory Services are no longer based at Jubilee Stores.  If you need to contact the Licensing team please email your query in the first instance to

An officer will respond to your query as soon as possible.  Please note: emails will be answered in order of priority.

Please ensure that your email contains:

Your full name,
a telephone number,
and a detailed description of your query.



The Licensing Act 2003 provides a single scheme for licensing premises. These premises must be used for the supply of alcohol, to provide regulated entertainment or to provide late night refreshment. Authorisation to carry on some or all of these licensable activities is contained in:

  •  A single Premises Licence.
  • Club Premises Certificate. 
  • Temporary Event Notice.


The Act affects anyone concerned with:     

  • Premises where alcohol is sold.       
  • Businesses providing the provision of hot food between 11pm and 5am. This includes takeaways and mobile caterers.  
  • Premises that provide music and dancing.   
  • Theatres and cinemas.    
  • Indoor sporting events.     
  • Premises holding boxing or wrestling.


The Council is required to periodically publish a Statement of Licensing Policy (PDF, 1.03Mb, 22 pages). This details how the Council will generally deal with applications.

Mandatory Condition

As from 28 May 2014 the Government  introduced a mandatory condition to be included in premises licences. This bans the sale of alcohol below the permitted price (the amount of duty plus VAT). The Licensing Act 2003 (Mandatory Conditions) Order 2014 (

In addition to the mandatory condition, on the 1 October 2014 the Licensing Act 2003 (Mandatory Licensing Conditions) (Amendment) Order (PDF, 56.18KB, 4 pages) came into force. This Order amends the previous Mandatory Conditions which came into effect in 2010.

Further Information

A guidance booklet has been produced to assist applicants. It provides general advice on applying for Premises Licences, Personal Licences, Club Premises Certificates and Temporary Event Notices (PDF, 5.65Mb, 22 pages). 

Further information is available from the Licensing Act 2003: supporting guidance - GOV.UK (

Public Register

The council maintains public registers for all licences which have been granted. View a summary of the public register licences, consents, permits and registrations

For further support contact the Licensing Department by using the Send a message (  to this service.