Licensing - Alcohol and Entertainment

Apply for a Personal Licence

A Personal licence permits a person to authorise the supply of alcohol at premises licensed for that purpose. Each premises supplying alcohol must also have a "designated premises supervisor", who must be the holder of a personal licence. In the circumstance of someone being issued a Temporary Event Notice (TEN), the applicant of the TEN may authorise the sale of alcohol at the event and does not need to be a personal licence holder.

Application Process

The application for a new personal licence must include:

  • A licensing qualification, Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders.
  • A Disclosure and Barring Services check which is dated no more than 28 days before the application. The Criminal Record Basic Disclosure can now be obtained from the Disclosure and Barring Service through any of the Responsible Organisations listed on the GOV.UK website, please select the following link below: GOV.UK website - DBS, Responsible Organisations list

  • Two passport style photographs with the application.
    Please note:
    one of the photos should be certified as to the likeness of the applicant, and signed by a solicitor or notary, a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification.

  • A completed  'Application for a Personal Licence form' . (PDF, 233KB, 7 pages).
  • A completed  Disclosure of convictions and declaration form.  (PDF, 45KB, 4 pages).
  • A fee of £37.00 must be paid at the time an application is made.

All completed forms and information as outlined above should be sent to: 
Licensing Section, Jubilee Stores, The Quay, Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30 2EH.

Public Register

The council maintains public registers for all licences which have been granted. A summary of the public register licences, consents, permits and registrations can be viewed on the council's website .