Isle of Wight Council

Trading Standards - Business Advice

Product Safety

Consumer safety

Your responsibility for selling unsafe goods, information on manufacturing and importing goods. Your legal responsibility selling safe second-hand goods and goods in rented accommodation and where else to go for advice. 

What responsibility do I have for selling unsafe goods?

Further practical information about unsafe goods, liability for damage or injury can be found on the Business Companion website.

What do I need to know if I manufacture or import goods to re-sell?

Manufacturers and importers of consumer goods must take steps to ensure that the goods in question are safe and that they comply with any particular regulations that set down safety standards. For further detailed guidance the Department for Business, Innovation, and Skills (BIS) website contains information on many aspects of product safety. Online advice for business and self-employed is available from the GOV.UK website.

Important information
Manufacturers and importers may need to refer to British Standards or European Standards. The European Commission website has a useful page to cover European Standards.

Are there any simple guides to product safety?

The Business Companion website offers links to a range of simple guides to product safety (scroll down toward the bottom of the page for specific links).

Simple guides to product safety can be found about:

  • Cosmetics
  • General product safety - distributors
  • General product safety - producers
  • Goods in rented accommodations
  • Safety of products - due diligence
  • Unsafe goods - liability
  • New and second-hand prams and pushchairs
  • New nightwear
  • New upholstered furniture
  • Electrical goods
  • Fireworks
  • Electrical equipment
  • Food imitations
  • Jewellery safety- metal content
  • Mini motos, off-road vehicles, etc
  • Ornamental & novelty giftware
  • Toys
  • Part-worn tyres
  • Second-hand electrical goods
  • Second-hand gas cooking appliances
  • Second hand upholstered furniture

Important information
The above list does not cover all products that you may need to ensure are safe.

What legal responsibility do I have to ensure that I sell safe second-hand goods?

Sellers of second-hand goods have a responsibility to ensure that any second-hand goods they sell are safe. The following pages give you some guidance to cover some types of second-hand goods:

Second-hand electrical goods (external website)

Second-hand upholstered furniture (external website)

Second-hand gas cooking appliances (external website)

Second-hand prams and pushchairs (external website)

Part-worn tyres (external website)

Important information
The above list does not cover all products that you may need to ensure are safe.

What legal responsibility do I have as a landlord for goods in rented accommodation?

Further information about the responsibility that landlords and letting agents have for the safety of the goods in the properties they rent out can be found on the business companion website:

Goods in rented accommodation (external website)

Where else can I go for advice on consumer safety?

If you have checked out the links provided in this information and are still unsure then please email and we will aim to respond to your enquiry within 5 working days.