Working at elections
In the run up to an election, the Returning Officer for the Isle of Wight Council will need to recruit temporary staff. These temporary posts are for fixed or variable hours, and usually last for one day.
You can find a brief description of each job type by selecting the job role from the list below:
- Responsibilities of a Presiding Officer (PDF, 145 KB, 3 pages)
- Responsibilities of a Poll Clerk (PDF, 141 KB, 3 pages)
- Responsibilities of a Counting Assistant (PDF, 125 KB, 2 pages)
If you would like to be considered for one of these positions, please provide the following information:
- Your full name.
- E-mail address.
To apply and provide us with this information please to use the online 'send a message to service' form. Or you can post your details to Electoral Services. Our address can be found in the contact tab above.
If a suitable position is available then we will contact you with further information.
Please note that all new employees will be required to demonstrate their entitlement to live and work in the United Kingdom; when you are appointed to a position you will be required to produce one of the following:
- A valid Passport or;
- A full birth certificate issued in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Ireland accompanied by an official document giving the applicants permanent National Insurance Number.
- A residence permit, registration certificate or document certifying or indicating permanent residence.
Other forms of entitlement may be acceptable. Please contact the Election Officer for information by using the online 'send a message to service' form or visit the GOV.UK website Visas and Immigration .
View the fees paid to Returning Officers and staff working at elections across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. (PDF, 182KB, 7 pages)