Child Employment

Information for parents and children

Parents responsibilities when their child goes into employment

You should monitor your child’s employment to make sure they have a positive experience of work and are not being exploited.

You should read our leaflet which explains the hours children can work and the types of work children are not allowed to do.

The Local Authority will only issue a work permit if, as the child’s parent/carer, you have signed the Work Permit Application Form - this shows us you have seen the form, read the employer's risk assessment and are happy for your child to be employed.

Before signing the Work Permit Application Form, check the employer details section that explains the type of work and hours your child will be doing.

You should only sign the application form if you are completely happy with all the details of the job they’ll be doing.

Preparing your child for work

You can prepare your child for work by:

  • explaining that they will need to do things to a certain standard and within the time set by their employer
  • advising them on how to handle tricky situations

Ways to keep your child safe

You can keep your child safe at work by:

  • Meeting their employer and giving them your contact details before your child starts work.
  • Making sure you know exactly what your child is doing and regularly asking them about their time at work.
  • Making a note of the times they are working.
  • Looking out for any changes in your child’s behaviour, appearance, routine or habits.
  • Reminding them that they do not have to put up with anything they are uncomfortable with and explaining that any form of exploitation or abuse is wrong.

Information for children

Getting a part time job can be great experience, help you meet new people, gain different skills and earn some money. This will also look good on your CV for future jobs or when you are applying to colleges or university. If your aged 13-16, there’s some jobs you can’t do (like serving alcohol), but there are plenty of jobs you can do such as light work in a café, hairdressers, hotels or offices. Your employers have a legal responsibility when they employ you and need to carry out risk assessments to ensure you are working legally and safely.

If you are at school and you want to work, your employer must get you a child employment permit.

To help you to have a positive experience and stay safe at work while earning some money you should read the child employment information in our leaflet which explains the hours of work and the types of work you are allowed to do.  Further information is also available from the National Network for Child Employment and Entertainment (NNCEE) website.