Isle of Wight Council

Housing Benefit

How to Notify a Change in Circumstance

Service Update

Due to Corona Virus, the council’s help centres are open for essential pre-booked appointments only. For urgent information, advice and guidance, appointments can be booked by calling 01983 823134 where an advisor will discuss your enquiry and whether it can be resolved by an alternative method.

 Reporting a Change of Address

Report a Change of Address through our Customer Portal

If you are currently receiving Housing Benefit and Local Council tax Support and are changing address, the Benefits Office will need to be informed. You will need to supply your signed tenancy agreement which you can upload through the portal.

You can save your change of address form and retrieve it later to complete. When you save the form you will be provided with a Citizens Access key which you will need to retrieve your form.  Retrieve a change of address form you have already started.


If you are not in receipt of Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax Support and wish to apply for this at your new address, you will need to check whether you should claim for Housing Benefit or Universal Credit. For further information on this service please view our web page titled  'About Housing Benefit and to how to Apply' .

Reporting a Change in Circumstance 


Report a change in your circumstances through our Customer Portal 

If you are currently receiving Housing Benefit and/or Local Council Tax Support and the circumstances for yourself or anyone else living with you change, you must tell the councils Benefit Office immediately as it may affect the amount of benefit you are entitled to.

You may need to provide documentary evidence of any changes reported or to enable the Benefits office to process your review.  You can supply your evidence by selecting the 'Upload my Evidence' option from the Customer Portal

If you are not already in receipt of Local Council Tax Support, but your new circumstances may mean you could be now entitled, you will need to make a new claim for Local Council Tax Support.

You can also contact the council’s Benefit Department by emailing us at (include your claim number if known).

For more information on changes you need to report.

Additional Information


Guidance Documents