Housing Benefit

Other Benefits and Support

Isle Help

Help Through Crisis (HTC) aims to assist Island residents who are in genuine hardship, enabling them to quickly access help in an emergency. There is a limited fund to provide immediate emergency help with food, gas and electricity. This can only be offered to those in the most need and as a last resort. No cash can be given but help will be provided to find other sources of assistance.

Details of the scheme and how to apply are available on their website: isle help me.

Pension Credit

The aim of Pension Credits is to:

  • Ensure a minimum guaranteed income for pensioners.
  • Reward people who have modest savings.
  • Significantly increase the number of pensioners who receive additional financial help.

The government’s Pension Service administers Pension Credits and deal with:

  • Claims.
  • Issue payments.
  • Customer contact.

The Pension Credit has two parts:

  1. Guarantee Credit - which replaced Minimum Income Guarantee and depending on your circumstances could still mean entitlement to 100% Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax Support.
  2. Savings Credit - is a Government allowance for pensioners who are 65 and over to reward them for some of their savings and income they have saved for their retirement.  

The Pension Credit hotline operated by the Government’s Pension Service is 0845 60 60 265 or visit the Pension Service Website. 

Personal Independent Payment (PIP)

Personal Independent Payment (PIP) replaced Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for working aged people. 

Existing Disability Living Allowance working age claimants will begin a staggered transfer over to Personal Independent Payment (PIP) from October 2013. The aim of PIP is to ensure that customers with disabilities are better assessed than how they currently are under DLA.  PIP helps towards some of the extra costs arising from a long term ill-health condition or disability and is based on how a person’s condition affects them, not the condition they have. It is not means-tested or subject to tax and it is payable to people who are both in and out of work.

For further information regarding Disability Living Allowance and any relevant changes can be found on the GOV.UK website.

General information on Personal Independence Payment can be found on the Department for Work and Pensions website .

Independent Advice

If you need independent advice you can visit :

Citizens Advice Bureau.

The Isle of Wight Law Centre

Age UK

Footprint Trust  - For free help with gas, water, and electricity bills, including debt, tariffs, night storage heaters, etc

Frontline Advice Centre - 01983 291552. For debt counselling and general advice