Isle of Wight Council

IW Youth - Rights and Participation

Your Voice and Support

There are occasions when you might not be happy with the service you get from your worker, your foster carer or any other service.  When this happens it is vital that you are offered support and know what your options are. 


Advocacy is when someone helps your voice to be heard.  Professional advocates are independent from Children's Services and know a lot about what your rights are.  They will help you to fully understand your situation and talk through what you might like to do if you want something changed.  They will then help you to do this.

Professional advocates:

Support on offer to you

Sometimes it might not be about help to have your voice heard, it might just be about getting help. Your social worker should be a good support for you if you are not happy. They will work with you on what the problems might be and try to resolve them. If you don't want to speak to someone you know face to face then here are a few options that will provide you with information and guidance:

  • For support regarding careers advice and education, visit our Island Futures service web pages.
  • For free, confidential advice and support whatever your worry, whenever you need help, call Childline on 0800 1111.
  • The NSPCC (website) is a leading children's charity fighting to end child abuse in the UK and Channel Islands.