Local Offer - Information Advice and Support

Financial support/welfare/benefits

Hand written word - Benefits

The Isle of Wight has two Jobcentres:

  • Ryde Jobcentre Plus, 150 High Street, Ryde, Isle of Wight, PO33 3RE.
  • Newport at Broadlands House, Staplers Road, Newport Isle of Wight, PO30 2HX.


Both offices are wheelchair accessible but they do not have toilet or changing facilities. Each Jobcentre has a team of Work Coaches dedicated to supporting people in to work or on their journey towards work. They can also help someone remain in employment if they are having difficulties. If someone is unable to work then they ensure that the right benefit is paid to that person at the right time. For help with moving from benefits to work click here (link to gov.uk pages as now). At Ryde Jobcentre the manager is Gemma Clarke and for Newport it’s Rob Sherman.  If you need further support in this area please contact them by email or by phone. gemma.clarke@dwp.gov.uk 01983 276804,  robert.sherman@dwp.gov.uk 01983 273118.




Over the last 12 months the Department of Works and Pensions (DWP) have removed the 16 hour limit on training for all JSA claimants participating in a traineeship and relaxed policy rules around work experience placements.  Both these changes increase the flexibility for providers and employers to tailor opportunities for benefit claimants.

To further increase access to traineeships and to support its growth, DWP have laid regulations that allow all young people – including those described as Qualifying Young People (predominantly 16 to 18 year olds) – to benefit from full-time participation in a traineeship whilst maintaining entitlement to their welfare benefit. This relaxation of benefit regulations only applies to those claimants participating in a traineeship – current rules around full-time education and welfare benefit entitlement remain in force for other programmes.


Local Authority Benefits Support and Council Tax

 The Local Authority provides a number of statutory and discretionary benefits for those on low incomes or who are in need of additional support. The benefits include Housing Benefit to help pay any rent, Discretionary Housing Payments for any shortfall between Housing Benefit entitlement and the amount of eligible rent payable, Local Council Tax Support to help with any council tax liability, and Local Assistance Scheme for emergency hardship assistance. There is also a number of discounts available to potentially assist with reducing the amount of Council Tax payable. 

Please click here to access further information around the various benefits, discounts and assistance available, how to apply and some of the useful information around these support schemes.


Going to University

 As a higher education student living in England, you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you have:

  • Disability.
  • Long-term health condition.
  • Mental health condition.
  • Specific learning difficulty like dyslexia.

To find out about Disabled Student Allowances please click here for more information.

We have created a pathway to support you if you are interested in going to university – for more information please click here.


Strategic Wight Island Support Hub (SWISH)

SWISH is a partnership made up of public service organisations, charities and other interested parties.  We work together to support Island residents in accessing public services.  Our three main focuses include accessing Digital Services, Financial Capability and making sure that our vulnerable residents get the support they need.

SWISH is based at Jobcentre Plus, Broadlands House, staplers Road, Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30 2HX.

The resources are on the IOW Council’s ‘moodle’ along with other SWISH and digital training .To log onto the "moodle" click here. Log in as a guest, password is swish.


by going via www.iwight.com then by selecting ‘A’ for ‘adult and community learning’ and following the link to their site.  Once there select ‘partners’ and then you will see near the bottom the SWISH logo.  As above log in as a guest, password is swish.

To find government services and information click here.


Inclusion Support Grant

Inclusion Support funding is available as a contribution to help support inclusive practice within childcare settings to enable children and young people aged 3-19 years with additional needs to access out of school and holiday provision. To apply for Inclusion Support funding download and complete the application form.


The Local Authority must ensure that this limited funding is used to meet the needs of the most vulnerable children.  Therefore the correct procedures must be followed to ensure that only those children who meet the eligibility criteria are funded. 



The IsleHelp Advice Hub is now open at 7 High Street, Newport, opposite County Hall, offering a free and confidential information and advice service for local people and professionals, through advisors or self operated touch screens. Advice is available on benefits, debt, housing, legal issues and support, with links to other organisations.

To find out more about how IsleHelp, can help you, please click here for details.


Benefits and financial support

 If you have a disability or do not earn a lot, you might be able to get extra money from the government to help you. These are called benefits. There are many different types of benefits, for more information on these please click here (PDF, 608KB, 5 pages).


Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children

 Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who:

  • Is under 16 years of age.
  • Has difficulties walking or needs more looking after than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability.

For more information please click here.


Disability Living Allowance  (DLA) for adults

(DLA) is a tax-free benefit for disabled people who need help with mobility or care costs. For most people it’s been replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP) if you’re aged 16-64.

For more information please click here.


Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

 Personal Independence Payment (PIP) helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you’re aged 16 to 64.

For more information please click here.


Universal Credit

This useful guide has been produced to support customers on Universal Credit who are in work but not paid calendar monthly. For more information please click here.  (PDF, 1.04MB, 10 pages) Alternatively  please click here for the Universal Credit & You guide (PDF, 643.24 KB, 17 pages).