Local Council Tax Support - Entitlement

Other People Who Live With You


Your Housing Benefit or Local Council Tax Support may be affected if you have non-dependants living in your household.

Non-dependants are any person aged 18 or over, for example, an adult son or daughter, a relative or even a friend who lives with you on a non-commercial basis.

A non-dependant does not include:

  • Dependant members of your family, i.e. a partner or child for whom you get Child Benefit. 
  • Lodgers or boarders who live with you on a commercial basis.
  • Tenants or sub-tenants.
  • People who own part or all of your home, i.e. a joint owner. 
  • Professional carers.  


Non-dependant deductions

The government expects non-dependants to contribute towards the running expenses of the household, which includes rent and/or council tax.

Many householders receive money from their non-dependants to cover housekeeping costs. However, even if the non-dependant pays little or nothing a standard fixed sum deduction will still be made from the householder's Housing Benefit (HB) and /or Local Council Tax Support (LCTS).

These deductions are calculated on the non-dependant's gross income, so it is important to let us know of any changes in that person's income. If their income increases or decreases this may affect the deduction.

It is also important we are kept up to date with any other changes that occur regarding a non-dependant. You can do this by emailing us at housing.benefit@iow.gov.uk (please include your claim number if known).

When a non-dependant deduction is not made

Deductions are not made if you or your partner are:

  • Registered blind.
  • In receipt of Attendance Allowance.
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) - care component. 
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - daily living component.
  • In receipt of Armed Forces Independence Payments.


In addition no deduction is made if the non-dependant is:

  • Aged 25 or under (for Housing Benefit purposes) and receives one of the following; Jobseekers Allowance (income based), Income Support or Employment Support Allowance (Income Related). Please note there is no upper age limit for Council Tax Support in these circumstances.
  • Gets a work based training allowance.
  • Usually lives somewhere else.
  • Has been a hospital inpatient for more than six weeks.
  • Is a prisoner or otherwise detained.
  • Is in receipt of Pension Credits.
  • Is a student - specific rules apply.

Please contact us for further information by emailing us at housing.benefit@iow.gov.uk (please include your claim number if known).

How non-dependant deduction is determined

The amount of the deduction depends on the level of gross income the non-dependant receives.

Please view the leaflet below for the current rates of non-dependant deductions:

  • Non Dependant Deductions from April 2019 for Local Council Tax support please click here  (52KB, 1 page)

  • Non Dependant Deductions from April 2019 for Housing Benefit please click here  (204KB, 1 page)

Second Adult Rebate

Second Adult Rebate (2AR) a rebate you can apply for where you are no longer entitled to a single person discount due to a second adult over 18 on a low income living in your household, Second Adult Rebate is only available to people of pensionable age.

If you are a claimant of working age, second adult rebate no longer exists. This means if you earn too much to claim council tax support and have a child aged 18 or over living in your house, or a friend who does not pay any rent, then you will now be required to pay your full council tax bill.

To apply online for Second Adult Rebate, please click here.