Opening Times 2021
- Until 18th July, Newport Roman Villa will be open every: Monday, Wednesday and Friday, between 10am and 2.30pm (last entry at 2pm)
- From the 19th July to 31st August, the Villa will be open every: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, between 10am and 3pm (last entry at 2.30pm). CLOSED Thursday and Sunday
- From 1st to 30th September, the Villa will be open every: Monday, Wednesday and Friday, between 10am and 2.30pm (last entry at 2pm)
School bookings are taken throughout the year. Please contact us for further information by telephoning 01983 823433.
|Students (with ID)
|Family (2 adults, 2 children)
|Children (5-17 years)
|Children (under 5 years)
We have limited facilities to take payment by card so please allow a little extra time if you need to pay in this way.
Significant roadworks are taking place in central Newport during spring/summer 2021. See directions below regarding diversions.
Newport Roman Villa has been described as a ‘hidden gem’, the site is tucked away in a residential area of Newport. For map and full address see our Contact page.
- Foot – Newport Roman Villa is a flat 10 minute walk from the centre of Newport.
- Bus – Newport Roman villa is less than 10 minutes’ walk from the central bus station in Newport and the local service No. 38 (Newport-Carisbrooke-Newport) stops at the end of Cypress road. Visit the Southern Vectis website for more information about bus travel on the Isle of Wight.
- Car – There are no parking restrictions on Cypress road and drivers will usually be able to find parking in this or one of the adjacent residential roads. Alternatively there is a Pay & Display car park on Medina Avenue (less than 5 mins walk) or several other car parking options a short walk away in central Newport.
- Bicycle – Newport Roman Villa is just minutes away from the scenic Newport to Sandown cycle track (exit at Shide). Find out more about cycling on the Isle of Wight on the Visit Isle of Wight website.
Road diversions in place during 2021 roadworks
Travelling from Sandown/south and east of island: Head towards Newport on the Blackwater Road (A3020), turn left at the junction with Medina Avenue (at National Tyres and Autocare). Follow Medina Avenue and either turn left up Cypress Road (the Roman Villa will be on your right) or continue to the end of Medina Avenue to park in the pay and display car park (ignoring signs about upcoming closed road).
Travelling from Cowes/Ryde/north of island: At the Coppins Bridge junction follows signs towards Sandown. Continue along St Georges Way (A3020) passing Asda on your left and then turn right at the junction with Medina Avenue (at National Tyres and Autocare). Follow Medina Avenue and either turn left up Cypress Road (the Roman Villa will be on your right) or continue to the end of Medina Avenue to park in the pay and display car park (ignoring signs about upcoming closed road).
Travelling from Carisbrooke/West Wight: Approaching Newport through Carisbrooke, at the roundabout at the bottom of Carisbrooke High Street (B3401) turn right up Cedar Hill and then at the top of the hill turn left along Whitepit Lane (B3401). Continue along Whitepit lane until you reach a roundabout. Turn left and then take Cypress Road (the first road on the right), the Roman Villa will be on your left or you can continue to the end of the road and turn left onto Medina Avenue to park in the pay and display car park (ignoring signs about upcoming closed road).
Newport Roman Villa is partially accessible to wheelchair users. Most of the site can be accessed, including the Roman Garden, bath suite, and exhibition of artefacts. Unfortunately we do not have an accessible toilet on site. An audio guide of Newport Roman Villa is available on request.
You can also take a 360° virtual tour of the villa on Google Maps.
You are welcome to contact us prior to your visit for further information or to discuss your needs.
“Excellent descriptive displays”
“Really good fun, and educational!”
“A hidden gem … Totally fascinating and well worth a visit.”
Read more on Trip Advisor and Google Reviews. If you’ve visited – please leave us a review.