Isle of Wight Council

Public Health - Housing

Frequently Asked Questions for this Service

Question: My landlord won’t do any repairs, what can I do?

Answer: Contact the Housing Renewal team at County Hall, High Street, Newport, Isle of Wight; by telephone: 01983 823040; or email

Has this FAQ answered your query?

Question: Can I get a grant for repairs to my property?

Answer: There is a small budget available for this financial year (2015). Grants may be available to carry out minor repairs to owner-occupied and rented properties where the eligibility criteria is met. Owner occupiers must have lived in property for 2 years to be eligible and it is a means tested grant. Discretionary disabled adaptations may also be eligible under this grant. Please provide details to the Housing Renewal Section on 823040 in order to be added to the waiting list and obtain an information sheet.

Has this FAQ answered your query?

Question: Can I get a loan for repairs, improvements, or renewable energy systems to my property?

Answer: The Isle of Wight Council operate a loan scheme called the Eco Loan, with partners the Hampshire Credit Union. This offers a 3% interest rate and owners of Island properties can be eligible. Maximum amounts apply and work can range from repairs & improvements, to renewable energy systems. The loan can also be applied to top up other grants where they are insufficient to meet the needs. Please note that this service is currently under review and may not be available in future (June 2015).
Contact the Housing Renewal Section for more advice - 823040.

Has this FAQ answered your query?