Starting School - Primary 2019
The online school admissions round to enable you to apply for a primary school place is now closed.
Please Note: National Offer Day is the 16 April 2019. The last date that applications or changes to existing applications can be made prior to this date is Wednesday 3 April 2019. The system will then close down to enable the process for the allocation of primary school places to take place. The system will reopen on Tuesday 23 April 2019 and all new applications or changes to details on original applications will be processed from this date. Any changes to existing applications must be received in writing.
Children due to start primary school in September 2018 must be born on or between 1 September 2014 and 31 August 2015.
The closing date for primary school applications is midnight on Tuesday 15 January 2019 and after this date the online application form will be closed. If you are unable to apply online you can request an application form from School Admissions and Transport by clicking on the 'contact' tab at the top of this page for details. You can also download an application form . (PDF, 81KB, 2 pages).
Please note: that all applications received after the closing date are considered as 'Late' and will be processed after those applications that were received by the published closing date of midnight on Tuesday 15 January 2019.
All primary schools will hold Open Days, further information on these will be provided by each of the schools.
Before completing your application we recommend you read our Educating your Child information book to view the booklet (PDF, 556KB, 43 pages).
Postal Application Process
- You can download an application form . (PDF, 81KB, 2 pages).
- Print and complete the form.
- When the form has been completed please return the form to: School Admissions and Transport, County Hall, Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30 1UD
- If you cannot download the application form to complete you can request a paper application form from the School Admissions and Transport service by using the details found in the contact tab above.
Additional information for church aided primary school applications
- If you are applying for a place at a church aided primary school please contact the school direct, as you will need to complete their supplementary information form. Arreton St Georges CE Primary School, Brighstone CE Primary School and Oakfield CE Primary School do not require a supplementary form to be completed.
- The supplementary information form needs to be returned directly to the appropriate school by the closing date. The information provided on this form will enable them to rank your application in accordance with their oversubscription criteria.
Application closing date
- The closing date for primary school applications was midnight on Tuesday 15 January 2019.
- Please note: all applications and changes received after the closing date will be considered as 'Late' and they will be processed after the applications that were received by the published deadline.
National Offer Day
- National Offer Day is the day parents will be notified by the School Admissions and Transport team with an offer of a place at a primary school.
- National Offer Day for Primary school places is Tuesday 16 April 2019. Emails will be sent to those who applied online and letters will be posted 2nd class to all those who made an application, unless we have been informed they will be educated at home or private school. Please be aware School Admissions are not able to confirm the child's allocated primary school by phone.
By law children must start school at the start of the term following their fifth birthday. Most children will start school when they are four years old.
If you would like to search for the primary school nearest to your home address, view the map. The nearest school to the home address, as stated in the admissions policies of all schools, is measured in a straight line using the local authority’s geographical information system (GIS) from the centre of the building of the home address to the centre of the school building. This information cannot be used as an assessment of your child's nearest school for transport entitlement.
View the Home to School Transport Policy (PDF, 243KB, 13 pages).
You can view and download the 2019 Primary School Timetable (PDF, 36KB, 1 page).
September 2019 Admissions Policies
Admissions Policies for Community and Voluntary Controlled Schools:
Admissions Policies for Voluntary Aided, Foundation and Trust Schools and Academies:
- Arreton St Georges CE Primary Admissions Policy (PDF, 886KB, 7 pages).
- Brighstone CE Primary Admissions Policy (PDF, 277KB, 7 pages).
- Newport CE Primary Admissions Policy & Supplementary Information Form (Website).
- Oakfield CE Primary Admissions Policy (PDF, 886KB, 7 pages).
- Yarmouth CE Primary Admissions Policy & Supplementary Information Form (PDF, 224KB, 8 pages).
- Holy Cross Catholic Primary School Admissions Policy (PDF, 372KB, 6 pages) Supplementary Information Form (PDF 317KB, 4 pages).
- St Marys Catholic Primary School Admissions Policy (PDF, 138KB, 6 pages) Supplementary Information Form (PDF 242 KB, 3 pages).
- St Saviours Catholic Primary School Admissions Policy (PDF, 3172KB, 7 pages) Supplementary Information Form (PDF 239KB, 3 pages).
- St Thomas Catholic Primary School Admissions Policy (PDF, 138KB, 6 pages) Supplementary Information Form (PDF 204KB, 3 pages).