Positive about Disability
Jobcentre Plus awards the 'two ticks' symbol to employers who demonstrate they are positive about disabled people.
The Isle of Wight Council continues to be approved to use the 'two ticks' symbol because of our positive policies on recruitment and retention. Approval under the ‘two ticks’ scheme has meant that Isle of Wight Council has signed up and can demonstrate our commitment to five main areas:
- Fair recruitment.
- Development of disabled staff.
- Retention of staff who become disabled.
- Ensuring all staff help to make the commitments work.
- Annually reviewing and improving our commitments.
Displaying the 'two ticks' symbol shows that we are serious about providing employment opportunities for disabled people. It makes it clear to potential disabled job applicants that we welcome their applications and will focus on their abilities. It also shows that we acknowledge and value the contribution of disabled people.
As an organisation accredited under the ‘two ticks’ scheme, we offer a guaranteed interview to any disabled person who applies for a position and meets the minimum criteria.
Making an Application
For us to assess your access to a guaranteed interview under the ‘two ticks’ scheme you will need to ensure we have certain information:
- On the application form you will be asked to declare whether you have a disability.
- You should fully read the role profile and person specification and ensure that you provide us with clear evidence of how you meet the essential criteria
We also aim to ensure that our recruitment process is flexible and supportive to all individual needs, so please speak with the contact person named on the job advert.
Attending the selection process
If you are invited for interview and other selection processes, you will be asked if you need any reasonable adjustments: we will make these wherever possible and examples could include:
- Ensuring that the interview is held in an accessible room or building.
- Arranging for assistance with communication at interview.
Before any interview, we will let you know in advance.