Housing Benefit

How to Apply or Complete a Review

Service Update

Due to Essential ICT Maintenance work the Customer Portal which is used by residents to make a claim for

Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax Support, will not be available on Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th December 2021

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.

Service will be restored as soon as possible but, in the meantime, if you want to make a claim for benefit please let us know by using our online send a message to this service form from the contact tab above or email housing.benefit@iow.gov.uk.

Please note: Once the service has been resumed you will need to complete a claim through the Customer Portal.


Due to Corona Virus the Councils Help Centres are closed.  We are unable to accept any documents for your Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax Support claims in this way.

If you have been asked to provide evidence for your claim, you can submit it to us by using the 'Upload my Evidence' option from the Customer Portal or post it to Housing Benefit, PO Box 238, Newport, PO30 9FP

If you are having difficulty supplying evidence for your claim, please call the Housing Benefit team on 01983 823950 for advice.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a type of financial support provided by the Department for Work and Pensions, which includes money for your rent, for people of working age who are looking for work or on a low income.

You can no longer apply for Housing Benefit unless you meet one of the following conditions:

  • If you are a resident in supported exempt accommodation or you have been placed in temporary accommodation by the Isle of Wight Council Homelessness team you must inform Universal Credit of this and make a claim for Housing Benefit with Isle of Wight Council
  • You are of state pension credit age, or you're in a couple where both of you have reached state pension credit age.

To make sure you don’t miss out on Universal Credit, apply online via the GOV.UK website

You can view more information about Universal Credit here

Help with paying your Council Tax

If you need help paying your Council Tax, then apply for Local Council Tax Support. Some people with savings cannot get help so don't apply if you are working age and have savings of over £6,000, or if you are a pensioner with over £16,000.

Discover how much you may be awarded

Use our online benefits calculator to work out how much money they might get. The benefits calculator will provide you with an estimate of how much you may be awarded.  If you are not sure that you will get benefits, we think you will find this online tool helpful. 

Make a new claim or complete a review for Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax Support through our Customer Portal 

Local Council Tax Support (LCTS

If you are no longer able to claim Housing Benefit but you still have to pay Council Tax, you may be eligible for LCTS.  Apply for Local Council Tax Support online Please note: you cannot apply for Local Council Tax Support (LCTS) at the Jobcentre Plus or Pension Service.                                                               

You will be required to provide evidence in support of your claim. Once your claim is submitted, you can ‘View, print or save claim form document’. This will provide you with a copy of your application and the list of evidence required. You have one month from the date of your application form to submit all the evidence requested. You can supply your evidence requested by selecting the 'Upload my Evidence' from the Customer Portal.

Authorised to accept Housing Benefit claims

The Isle of Wight Council is authorised to accept Housing Benefit claims that have been completed electronically through the use of our approved electronic form. View the signed directive  (PDF, 174b, 3 Pages).

For more information on relevant information which may affect you please select from the links below: