Disabled Childrens Team

About us

A Group of Children

Support for Families with Disabled Children

The Isle of Wight Disabled Childrens service (in conjunction with Hampshire County Council) believe and understand that children and young people should receive high quality, co-ordinated and family-centred support which is based on assessed needs and promotes social inclusion thus enabling them and their families, where possible, to live ordinary lives.

The Children Act defines a child as disabled:

 “'if he/she is blind, deaf or dumb or suffers from a mental disorder of any kind or is substantially or permanently handicapped by illness, injury or congenital deformity or other such disability as may be prescribed.”

We also know that social and environmental factors affect a child’s level of disability and that the care needs of these children and the demands on those parent(s)/carer(s) and/or siblings can be exceptional.

To view the Children's Social Care Threshold and Eligibility Criteria please, click here (PDF, 835.45KB, 11 pages).

If you believe that your child is eligible for support, please call the following telephone number for an initial assessment of need.

  • Hants Direct on Tel: 0300 300 0117

If this line is engaged you will be put through to an answerphone. Leave your name and number and we will call you back as quickly as possible. 

Visit the Autism Hampshire website to find more information about the Autism Alert Programme (Alert Card, Car Sticker, Passport and Alert App).

To view the Short Breaks website, please click here.

To find out more about the Local Offer please click here.

To find out more about Personal Budgets, please click here.

To find out more about Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND), please click here.

To find out more about Parent Voice IW, please visit their website by clicking here.

To find out more about our Beaulieu House and our Respite Care Home, please click here.

If you would like to find out how to make a complaint about this service, please either visit the 'contact' tab above and click on the 'make a complaint about this service' tab or click here to find out more about the 'children's services complaints process'.