Registration of Births

Correct a birth registration

You can apply for a birth registration correction when the information is wrong.

For example: if a mistake was made when recording a parent’s occupation.


The registrar will ask you to carefully check the entry before you sign it. Errors found at that stage can be corrected easily. Once you have signed the entry you are declaring it is correct and there is a fee payable if a mistake is found later.

You can’t apply for a correction to show new information if circumstances change after you’ve registered your child’s birth, for example if you change your name after getting married again.

However, you can apply to re-register the birth if the natural parents get married at a later date. Please read our information on the re-register birth process.

For further information about the correction process and fee's payable is available on the GOV.UK website