Registration of Deaths

Tell Us Once

Tell Us Once is a service that lets you report a death to most government organisations in one go.

When you register the death the registrar will:

  • Let you know if the service is available in your area.
  • Give you the phone number.
  • Give you a unique reference number to use the online Tell Us Once service  or by phone.


Before you use Tell Us Once

You’ll need the following details of the person who died:

  • Date of birth;
  • National Insurance number;
  • driving licence number;
  • vehicle registration number;
  • passport number.

You’ll also need:

  • Details of any benefits or entitlements they were getting, for example State Pension;
  • details of any local council services they were getting, for example Blue Badge;
  • the name and address of their next of kin;
  • the name and address of any surviving spouse or civil partner;
  • the name, address and contact details of the person or company dealing with their estate (property, belongings and money), known as their ‘executor’ or ‘administrator’;
  • details of any public sector or armed forces pension schemes they were getting or paying in to.

You need permission from the next of kin, the executor, the administrator or anyone who was claiming joint benefits or entitlements with the person who died, before you give their details.

Organisations Tell Us Once will contact

Tell Us Once will notify:

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - to deal with personal tax (you need to contact HMRC separately for business taxes, like VAT).
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - to cancel benefits, for example Income Support.
  • Passport Office - to cancel a British passport.
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - to cancel a licence and remove the person as the keeper of up to 5 vehicles (contact DVLA separately if you keep or sell a vehicle).
  • the local council - to cancel Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, a Blue Badge, Library Services, Concessionary Travel, inform council housing services and remove the person from the electoral register.
  • Veterans UK - to cancel Armed Forces Compensation Scheme payments.

Tell Us Once will also contact some public sector pension schemes so that they cancel future pension payments. They’ll notify:

  • My Civil Service Pension.
  • NHS Pension Scheme.
  • Armed Forces Pension Scheme.
  • Pension schemes for NHS staff, teachers, police and firefighters in Scotland.
  • Local authority pension schemes, except where Tell Us Once is not available.


Tell Us Once does not update property records if the person who died owns land or property.