Local Access Forum
Local Access Forums (LAFs) are statutorily prescribed bodies, introduced by sections 94 and 95 of the Countryside and Rights of Way (CROW) Act 2000.
Their main function is to advise their appointing authority for their area (e.g. Isle of Wight Council), as to the improvement of public access to land in that area for the purposes of open-air recreation and enjoyment.
In carrying out its functions, a LAF must have regard to the needs of land management and the desirability of conserving the natural beauty of the area for which it is established, including the flora, fauna and geological and physiographical features of the area.
Forum members are appointed by the appointing authority (e.g. Isle of Wight Council) to represent the interests of people who use the right of access to open country and registered common land, and public rights of way, as well as owners/occupiers of land affected. Members can also be appointed to represent other interests relevant to the area such as tourism, sport or nature conservation.
Members serve in a personal capacity to represent interests rather than particular organisations. The appointing authority must ensure there is a reasonable balance between user and landowners/occupier interests.
Isle of Wight Local Access Forum Meeting Dates:
- Thursday 5 March 2020 Agenda (PDF, 2 pages) Minutes
- Thursday 4 June 2020 - Cancelled
- Thursday 3 September 2020
- Thursday 3 December 2020
Please check the forum agenda for location, starting times and items for discussion.
All welcome to come and observe:
If you would like to come along to a future meeting as a guest / observer or attend to give a talk to members or just have a matter raised on the agenda for discussion please contact the LAF Secretary, on 01983 821000 X 8745 (Rights of Way at the IW Council) or email us using the 'Send a message', both of which can be found in the 'Contact' tab above. Or you may email on Rightsofway@iow.gov.uk please put LAF in the title of your email.
If you have the time and would like to become an active member of the LAF (different to coming along to meeting and being an observer) in the first instance please contact the LAF Secretary (Jennine Gardiner) on Rightsofway@iow.gov.uk and an application pack will be sent to you.
Agendas, Minutes and Annual Reviews
Please select any of the links listed below to view minutes or agendas for past meetings:
- 5 December 2019 Agenda (PDF, 300kb, 1 page) Minutes (PDF 1.91 Mb, 14 pages)
- 5 September 2019 Agenda (PDF, 845kb, 1 page) Minutes (PDF 974KB, 9 pages)
- 6 June 2019: Agenda (PDF,0.98mb, 1 page) Minutes (PDF 1.08MB, 9 pages)
- 7 March 2019: Agenda (PDF, 331 KB, 1 page) Minutes (PDF 2.64MB, 22 pages)
- 6 December 2018: Agenda (PDF, 13.1KB, 1 page) Minutes
- 6 September 2018: Agenda (PDF, 143KB, 1 page) Minutes (PDF 2.63MB, 16 pages)
- 5 July 2018: Agenda (PDF, 451KB, 2 pages) Minutes (PDF, 1.85MB, 15 pages)
- 5 April 2018: Agenda (PDF, 160KB, 2 pages) Minutes (PDF, 1.42MB, 14 pages)
- 1 February 2018: Agenda (PDF, 156KB, 2 pages) Minutes (PDF, 1.40MB, 18 pages)
- 7 December 2017: Agenda (PDF, 152.18 KB, 2 pages) Minutes (PDF, 5.16MB, 28 pages)
- 7 September 2017: Agenda (PDF, 15.32KB, 2 pages) Minutes (PDF, 241KB, 10 pages)
- 6 July 2017: Agenda (PDF 16Kb, 2 pages) Minutes (PDF, 16.4Mb, 100 pages)
- 6 April 2017: Agenda (PDF 17.3Kb, 2 pages) Minutes (PDF, 1.29MB, 27 pages)
- 2 February 2017: Agenda (PDF 16.2KB, 2 pages) Minutes (PDF, 3.99MB, 14 pages)
- 1 December 2016: Agenda (PDF 156KB, 2 pages) Minutes (PDF, 3.85MB, 53 pages)
- 1 September 2016: Agenda (PDF 141 KB, 1 page) Minutes (PDF, 2.26MB, 8 pages)
- Annual Review April 2015 to March 2016 (PDF, 88KB, 4 pages)
- 2 June 2016: Agenda (PDF,12.9KB. 1 page) Minutes (PDF, 432KB, 12 pages)
- 3 March 2016: Agenda (PDF, 137KB. 1 page) Minutes (PDF. 1.63MB, 15 pages)
- 3 December 2015: Agenda (PDF,13.15KB. 1 page) Minutes (PDF,413.57 KB, 13 pages)
The following, are links to documents the LAF members would have had circulated to them, these have been split into headings for ease of reference.
Bridleways / Horses
Sharing Routes with Horse Riders by the British Horse Society (BHS), (PDF, 4.82Mb, 29 pages).
Countryside & Rights of Way Issues
Disposal of Timber - Isle of Wight Council, Countyside (IWC), (PDF, 16.95KB, 1 page).
Trees & Hedges - Overhanging and obstructing Rights of Way (PDF, 960.37KB, 2 pages)
Cycle Wight Cycle Strategy 2017 - a cycling strategy for the Isle of Wight 2017 - 2019 (PDF, 1.50MB, 24 pages).
Cycling on Public Footpaths a Cyclists Touring Club (CTC) Campaign Briefing (PDF, 772.39KB, 9 pages).
Rights of Way reply to CTC Campaign Briefing (PDF, 17.14KB, 1 page).
Dogs on your Land (PDF, 1.42Mb, 9 pages).
Dog Waste and Behavioural Change for dog walkers (PDF, 265.25KB, 17 pages).
Walkers with Dogs and better management (PDF, 761.69KB, 8 pages).
LAF Guidance Booklet 2007
Restoring Lost Routes by BHS (PDF, 755.14KB, 26 pages).
Level Crossings (PDF, 392.19KB, 19 pages) - why is closure the answer?
Planning for Dog Ownership in new developments (PDF, 1.66MB, 24 pages).
LAFs and the planning process (PDF, 146.01KB, 10 pages).
IW Rights of Way Improvement Plan 2006 (PDF 1.73MB, 68 pages)
Current LAF Members
email Rightsofway@iow.gov.uk if you would like a membership application pack sent to you