Permit Scheme (van, business and commercial type vehicle)
The council recognises that some residents need to use their van or commercial/business type vehicles to take their own household waste to the Recycling Centres at Lynnbottom and Afton Marsh.
A new permit scheme will be in place at both Lynnbottom and Afton Marsh household waste and recycling centres (HWRCs) for people using any of the following vehicles to dispose of their own household recycling and waste from Monday 5 June 2017. The household waste recycling areas are for household waste only. Some commercial businesses and traders attempt to use these facilities for free and the vehicle permit scheme aims to tackle this illegal disposal of business waste.
The permit is not valid at the Mobile Household Waste Recycling Centre.
- Sign-written vehicle.
- Any van including camper vans and *car derived vans (permanently converted).
- Pick –up truck.
- Sprinter van.
- Tipper Vehicle - restrictions apply see below.
- Hire vehicles – if hired for longer than four days. Please show your hire agreement on arrival at either HWRCs.
If you have a hire vehicle and if hired for 4 days or less you will not need a permit.
Some cars, MPVs and 4x4 are classed as car-derived vans and will be required to have a vehicle permit to bring household waste to the HWRC’s:
A passenger vehicle will require a permit if the following three criteria apply:
- there are no rear seats, rear seat belts or mountings
- there is a payload area with floor panel in the rear of the vehicle
- there are no side windows in the rear of the vehicle - or if present, side windows will be opaque and fixed (with no means of opening or closing)
Residents with tipper vehicles that are disposng of their own household waste are permitted to dispose of their household waste using the Commercial Waste Recycling Centre area (for free), which is located in the lower part of Lynnbottom HWRC only. To do this the vehicle must have a vehicle permit that must be presented to the meet and greet on arrival.
- Tipper vehicles using this facility are requested to visit between 4.30pm and 8pm (6pm winter opening hours) Monday to Saturday only and must not use their tipper function at any time.
- Tipper vehicles are not permitted to use the household waste recycling centre areas at either Afton Marsh or Lynnbottom (the upper area).
- Tipper vehicles are also required to have a vehicle permit. You will not be permitted to tip your personal household waste without a permit.
Vehicles with a combined length of 7.7m or less will continue to be permitted to use the facility as normal regardless of the length of trailer. Any vehicle and trailer combination over 7.7m will be unable to use the site. Vehicle and trailer combinations less than 7.7.m can continue to use Lynnbottom as normal.
Vehicles and trailer combinations under 5m in length can park as normal in one of Lynnbottom’s marked parking bays (unless the user has mobility issues/blue badge in which case they will be directed to the accessible bay). Vehicles and trailer combinations over this length will be required to use the accessible bay.
- To apply online for a vehicle permit to deposit your own household waste in your van, business or commercial vehicle, click here
- Each permit card will allow your vehicle to make 12 visits to either Lynnbottom or Afton Marsh Household Recycling Centres.
- The permit card is valid for 12 months from the date of issue, if you use your 12 visits in under a year, you can reapply.
- Permits will be delivered within ten working days.
- The permit is linked to your vehicle so more than one family member can use it to enter either site.
- The full vehicle permit scheme terms and conditions are available from here. (PDF, 192KB, 2 pages).
Vehicles Not permitted to use the HWRC
The following vehicles are not allowed to access a Household Waste Recycling Centre at any time:
- Agricultural vehicles.
- Vehicles above 3.5t gross vehicle weight.
A permit is not required for cars, 4x4's or people carriers unless they meet the criteria of a car derived-van. Camper vans will require a permit as they are classed as a type of van.
Trade and Commercial Waste
Trade and commercial recycling and waste is the responsibility of the trader and commercial operator producing the waste, this includes any trade premises and small business. The household waste recycling areas are for householders to deposit their own recycling and waste.Those looking to dispose of trade and commercial recycling and waste may want to contact the Environment Agency which can offer advice, click the following link to visit their website: Environment Agency website.