Research Service and Obtaining Copies
We offer a variety of copying services as well as a Research Service for those who are not able to visit the Record Office in person.
All copying is subject to Data Protection Act and copyright legislation. We will not photocopy or scan any document if doing so might cause damage to it, but in these circumstances it may be possible to photograph it instead. If you visit the Record Office you may, at the Archivist’s discretion, photograph the item on the purchase of a Camera Licence.
- B/W A4 Photocopy – 30p
- B/W A3 Photocopy – 40p
- B/W A4 Microfilm Print – 30p
- B/W A3 Microfilm Print – 0.40p
Please note: It is advisable to book the Microfilm printer in advance.
- Handling charge including postage - £5.00
Please note: Photocopy requests which take more than ¼ hour to complete will be subject to a charge based on our hourly rate. If you require copies by post, please obtain a quotation first by getting in touch by email using the 'Send a message to this service' tab found in the 'Contact' tab above or select 'Do It Online' at the top of this page and submit a 'General Enquiry' form.
Scans and photographs
- CD and up to five images (UK and Europe) - £5.00
- CD and up to five images (Rest of the world) - £7.50
- Each additional scan – 50p
- Search room Camera Licence (24 hours) - £5.00
- Search room Camera Licence (Six months) - £20.00
- Search room Camera Licence (12 months) - £30.00
- Full microfilm search: £25.00 per hour.
- Short microfilm search (UK/Europe) - £5.00 per film plus copies (see above).
- Short microfilm search (Rest of the world) - £7.50 per film plus copies (see above).
Entries which can be checked at this reduced rate are:
- Local Newspapers: The Isle of Wight County Press 1884-2009, Isle of Wight Observer 1852-1922, Isle of Wight Times 1862-1974. You will need to supply the relevant year.
Please note: some years are missing from our series. Please check our list of newspapers before you order by clicking here (PDF, 39.34KB, 1 page).
- Census Returns: Address required.
- Parish Registers: Year and parish required.
To request a search of our microfilms, please email us using the 'Send a message to this service' tab found in the 'Contact' tab above or select 'Do It Online' at the top of this page and submit a 'General Enquiry' form.
A range of free searches are available. These are:
- Information on sources.
- A search for an enquirers own baptism.
- A check of a single address for one year in an Electoral Register (1920-2007). The street will need to be supplied.
- A check of a single rate book where the volume is arranged by address. The address will need to be supplied.
- A check of up to 10 years for a baptism, marriage or burial in the card index which covers the period 1538-1900. For baptisms, the names of any siblings within the same period will be supplied.
- A check of our baptism index for the years 1900-1920. The names of any siblings within the same period will be supplied.
- A check of a single original baptism register after 1920. The year and name of parish will need to be supplied.
- A check of a single original marriage register after 1910. The year and name of parish will need to be supplied.
- A check of our burial index for the years 1900-2000. The year will need to be supplied.
Please note: For a full list of the covering dates of the parish registers held at this office click here (PDF, 135.38KB, 2 pages).
A check for an individual in our surname index to the Census for 1841, 1851, 1871, 1881 or 1891.
At the discretion of the Archivist, a search which would take less than 10 minutes to complete.
To submit a request for Free Research, please email us using the 'Send a message to this service' tab found in the 'Contact' tab above or select 'Do It Online' at the top of this page and submit a 'General Enquiry' form
- Research undertaken by the Record Office, One hour - £25.00
- Research undertaken by the Record Office, Half-hour - £15.00
Please send your Paid Research request to us. Please find all our contact details in the 'Contact' tab above.
The research will be carried out by a member of staff under the supervision of the Archivist. A reply should be sent to you within three weeks of the day your enquiry is received. A copy of your report will be placed in a family file, which will be made available to members of the public after a two year period has elapsed unless you specifically state that you do not wish this to happen.
- Payment must be made in advance.
- You will be paying for the search, not for the results. Unfortunately we cannot refund your fee if an extensive search has not proved successful.
- Photocopies are charged for separately as laid out above.
How to pay
Payment for Record Office services is by sterling cheque, payable to Isle of Wight Council and posted to the address found in the contact tab or by credit card over the telephone. If you wish to pay by credit card, please ensure we have your postal details before you call to allow us to process the payment. Please DO NOT include your Credit Card details in any written communication.