Adult Services Complaints


Making a Complaint

When things go wrong we aim to put things right quickly, informally and without a fuss.  However, a formal complaint procedure is available if we are unable to resolve a service user’s complaint on an informal basis. 

You can make a complaint if the Council:

  • Does something wrong.
  • Fails to do something it should have done.
  • Does something it should not do.
  • Provides a poor standard of service.

It is not treated as a complaint when:

  • You are appealing against a decision which, although it is not the one you wanted, has been properly formed.

Complaints which are unclear or very general may be difficult to investigate and the Council may ask that more information be provided by the complainant.

How to Make a Complaint

Online: submit a complaint using our online complaint form.

Email: AdultSocialCareCompliments&

By Post : send your complaint by letter to ASC Complaints and Investigation Manager, FREEPOST RTGE-TBEC-BYAY, Adult Social Care Compliments and Complaints, Isle of Wight Council, Floor 2, County Hall, Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30 1UD.

Or by downloading and completing a complaint reporting form and sending it to the above address, please download a copy of the form. (PDF, 4 pages, 136 KB).

Please note: You can speak to or make an appointment to meet with the Adult Social Care Complaints Team by telephoning 01983 823340. 

The Complaints Procedure

If you make a complaint, you:

  • Will not suffer any penalty or discrimination as a result.
  • Will have your complaint acknowledged, taken seriously, investigated.

  • Will receive a reasoned, courteous and honest response.

  • Can expect us to try to understand things from your point of view. 

If you feel you may require advocacy support to make your complaint, we will talk to you about how best to access this support from an independent agency, if it is appropriate to your needs.

In order for us to give proper consideration to a complaint and to be clear about appropriate resolutions, we ask you to:

  • Tell us clearly what has gone wrong with as much factual information as possible.

  • Give us the information we may ask you for.

  • Tell us what you would like us to consider doing to put things right.

  • Make any special needs known to us as soon as you can.

  • Remain calm and treat our staff in a courteous way.

  • Remember that we are trying to help.


Within three working days the Complaints Team for Adult Social Care will write to you to acknowledge receipt of the complaint and to inform you about what will happen to your complaint and how long this may take.

You can usually expect a full response to your complaint within 25 working days.  However, if the complaint is of a complex nature or will require further investigation, the Council should agree with you a plan for how it will deal with your complaint, including the timescale for responding to your complaint.

The Local Government Ombudsman (LGO)

If you are not happy with the outcome once the Council has completed its consideration of your complaint, you can complain to the Local Government Ombudsman (within twelve months of realising the Council has done something wrong).  You must have gone through the Council’s Complaint Procedure before contacting the Local Government Ombudsman.

The Local Government Ombudsman looks at complaints about Council’s.  It is a free service and complaints are investigated in a fair and independent way.  The Ombudsman decides if any injustice has been caused to the complainant through maladministration. 

Once you have completed the Council’s complaints process, if you remain dissatisfied, you can call the LGO Advice Team on 0300 061 0614 or visit their website. Alternatively, you can write to the Local Government Ombudsman, PO Box 4771, Coventry, CV4 0EH.

The above information can also be found in our Compliments, Feedback and Complaints Guide. (PDF, 115B, 4 pages).

View a easy read version of the above leaflet . (PDF, 399KB, 7 pages).

Adult Social Care Services

Find out more information about the services on our Adult Social care web pages.