Adult Social Care - Advocacy

Advocacy and Advocates

The Care Act 2014 says that all local authorities have a duty to involve people in decisions made about them and their care and support.  No matter how complex a person’s needs, local authorities are required to help people express their wishes and feelings, support them in weighing up their options and assist them in making their own decisions.

Independent advocates

An advocate is a person who will assist you to get the information that you need to help you make decisions.  They will also support you to say what you want to say and make sure that your views are being heard so that your problems can be sorted out.

They can:

  • Help put your views and feelings across about decisions that are being made about your life.
  • Speak on your behalf if that is what you want.
  • Give information and advice about your rights and any worries you have as well as help you make choices about what is best for you.
  • Help you to make a complaint.  

In order to be able to support you to express your wishes and feelings or represent your views, advocates will need to spend some time with you to build up an understanding of what you want to say.

Advocacy can provide independent help and support with:

  • Wellbeing assessments and reviews.
  • Preparation or review of a care and support plan
  • Carer’s assessments.
  • Keeping safe from harm (safeguarding enquiry or review.)  

For more detailed information please view our factsheet 'Help Managing Your Affairs and Decision Making Factsheet'. (PDF, 106KB, 3 pages)

How to get an independent advocate

Advocacy protects those with greatest need who have difficulty in understanding information, retaining information, using and weighing that information and in expressing their wishes and feelings.

Advocacy is provided free of charge when a social worker has identified that a person meets the qualifying criteria under the Care Act, Mental Capacity Act or Mental Health Act.

The following conditions must be considered when appointing an independent advocate:

  • The person would have substantial difficulty in being fully involved in key processes if an advocate was not provided.
  • There was no appropriate individual available to support and represent the person’s wishes who is not paid professionally, or engaged in providing care and treatment to the person or their carer.

If both of these conditions apply, independent advocacy will be arranged through a person’s social care worker.

Alternatively you can find an advocate by contacting Swan Advocacy on the details below.

Address: Swan Advocacy, Riverside Centre, The Quay, Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30 2QR

Telephone: 03333 447928