Adult Social Care - Paying for Care

Independent Financial Advice

The Isle of Wight Council does not endorse or recommend any financial services. We highly recommend that you seek independent financial advice and it is your responsibility to ensure any financial adviser you instruct is appropriately experienced and qualified. Further information in relation to independent financial advice about your own particular circumstances,  including paying for your care, deferred payment scheme, court of protection procedure, lasting power of attorney procedure can be found at: 

  •  Money Advice Service . They offer information on paying for care or the option to speak to an online adviser. Their telephone number is 0300 500 5000.



Other sources of good information and advice:




  •  Isle Help  - Offers free, impartial, independent and confidential advice to anyone requiring help and support. 


  • NHS Choices  - Is a comprehensive guide to choosing and arranging care and support.


  •  Which? Elderly Care  - Provides information on the funding options you can explore for care homes and home care.



  • Department of Work and Pensions  - Provides advice on Appointeeship (the authority needed to manage the benefits of someone who is mentally incapable of doing so themselves).


To help give you a better understanding of the financial costs around Care at Home and Residential/Nursing Care the BBC have produced a guide which can be found on their website ( by clicking the following link: 'What's the cost of care in your area?'. Please Note: that the figures quoted are average costs and exact costs may vary.