Adult Social Care - Carers

Frequently Asked Questions for this Service

Question: What should I be considering for my assessment?

Answer: This is a check list of things you may want to think about for your assessment. Everyone’s situation is different, and so not all the questions may seem relevant to you. Focus on what you think is important. Remember the assessment is about your needs - the person you care for will have their own assessment.

Your role
• Do you think you have a choice?
• How much time does caring take up, and are there things involved that you can’t do, or don’t want to do?
• Are you feeling constantly stressed?
• Does caring stop you doing things that are important to you?

• What would you like to do that you can’t?
• Do you have a past hobby, sport or interest that you would like to do again?
• Do you see the friends and relatives you would like to?
• Can you get out when you want to?
• Do you have someone you can talk to or confide in?

Your time
• How much time do you get to do the things you want to do for yourself?
• How much time do you spend doing practical things for the person you care for that they can’t do for themselves?
• What are these things?
• Do you have to spend time ‘just being there’ for the person you care for or supervising them as they do things?
• Can the person you care for be left alone?
• Do you have to provide help at night and, if so, what?

Your work
• Do you have a job or would you like to get one?
• What help do you need to keep or get that job?
• Can your employer change your hours or change your job so that you can stay in work?
• Do you need training to help you get a job?

• Are you sure you have claimed all the benefits and allowances you are entitled to?
• Can the person you care for manage their own money?
• Do they help you with the expenses of living?

• Do you understand all the health needs of the person you care for?
• Do you know who to contact in an emergency?
• Do you have any health problems of your own, either now or that you think may get worse in the future?
• Do you get enough sleep? Are you able to rest and switch off?

• Do you and the person you care for live together or apart?
• Is the arrangement satisfactory?
• Who owns the house and who has the rights to live in it?
• Is the house suitable for the physical needs of the person you care for?
• Is the house suitable for the needs of everyone else who lives there?
• Is there easy access to facilities you need in your community, such as the doctor, the post office, shops and the chemist?

The future
• What would happen to the person you care for if you were unable to provide the care you do
• What will happen when you no longer have to provide care?

Has this FAQ answered your query?

Question: What services are available to carers of adults?

Answer: Care at home
• Friends, relatives, local church or community groups may be able to provide short periods of respite care and although you may not like to ask, many of your closest friends and relatives will probably be only too pleased to help out.
• Homecare services on the Island can provide help to the person you care for at certain times of the day and be a much needed “different face” around the house.
• Homecare providers can also offer “sitting” services where a trained home carer can stay with the person you care for while you take a break.
• Social services do provide a 2-hour a week free sitting service when no other such help is available.
• A “boarding-in” scheme is available to provide respite care in a person’s own home with a 24-hour homecare cover to allow you to go away for several days. This is a very limited service provided when nothing else would be appropriate.

Away from home
• There are a variety of social clubs and lunch clubs around the Island. These can provide companionship, sometimes a meal, but no personal care. Some clubs are able to help with transport.
• Day-care centres offer a range of activities as well as a chance to meet other people. They will usually be able to provide personal care too, and attendance can be arranged through social services. You can also approach some day-care providers direct but in either case there will be a charge. Some day-centres provide drop-in facilities so you can leave the person for whom you care, to be looked after for a few hours, at short notice.

Residential based respite
• Respite care in residential and nursing homes can be arranged by community services. This service is for those who need a break from caring at least three times a year. Short breaks are then provided at a flat rate minimum charge with no means test. The breaks are usually of one or two weeks’ duration. Ad hoc breaks can also be provided and a charge made following a means test.
• As well as regular respite care social services can provide emergency care in a residential nursing home to relieve carers in crisis for up to two weeks.
• Hospital admission is usually a last resort for those in serious medical need. Talk to your doctor if you think this is what the person you care for needs.

Has this FAQ answered your query?

Question: Is there a carer’s card availble for when you accompany someone travelling to the mainland for treatment? It seems Hovertravel have been saying that free or subsidised travel can only be given if the person has a carer’s card??

Answer: No, we do not currently have a carer’s card available, although we believe that Wightlink may offer something to carers and you just need to have a letter from the Care Manager/GP to identify that you are a carer. We do however hope to have a carer’s card up and running shortly.

Has this FAQ answered your query?