Housing Renewal

Energy Efficiency

The Private Sector Tenants Energy Efficiency Provisions mean that you can carry out energy efficiency work on your rented property. You must liaise with your landlord to carry out these works and pay for it yourself.

For the current grant schemes available on the Island, please visit Isle of Wight Applications

The Energy Saving Trust website provides information on how to reduce energy usage. The Energy Saving Trust run a telephone advice service offering energy saving advice to homes and business in England and Wales. You can call 0300 123 1234 or email energy-advice@est.org.uk. Calls charged at the standard national rate.

The Footprint Trust Ltd website provide local advice and help. You can call 01983 822282 or visit The Riverside Centre, The Quay, Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30 2QR.

The Hampshire Credit Union help people access banking services for energy efficiency improvements.

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES)

The Energy Efficiency (Private Rented  Property)(England and Wales) Regulations 2015 set a minimum level of  energy efficiency. Landlords of privately rented property must reach at least an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of 'E'. This must be done before granting a new  tenancy to new or existing tenants.

Read the Guidance for landlords and tenants in regard to energy efficiency requirements.

Green Homes Grant

Read details of grants to help with energy efficiency and renewable heating in your home.