Environment and Sustainability Forum
In July 2019 we declared a climate emergency. Following this declaration, our Community Plastics Forum became the Environment and Sustainability Forum (E&SF) in the same month.
This change was made to allow a wider focus on a broader range of climate and environment-related issues. It also allows us to discuss relevant issues with Island residents, town and parish councils, and other stakeholders.
Due to COVID, the E&SF was paused through most of 2020. It restarted in December 2020 and is expected to run approximately once a month wherever possible from January 2021 onwards.
If you would like to attend the E&SF, please email email@example.com to have your name added to the mailing list. Currently, all meetings are taking place virtually using Microsoft Teams.
2021 topics for discussion:
In the December 2020 E&SF, attendees were asked to vote on topics for discussion. The topics covered throughout 2021 are as follows. E&SF members will be asked to vote on preferred topics for 2022's Forums.
- Sustainable transport (EV and IOW charging; transition to EVs) (February 2021).
- Isle of Wight Council Climate and Environment Strategy to 2030 (March 2021).
- Isle of Wight circular economy (June 2021).
- Covid recovery and climate change – ‘build back better’ (July 2021).
- Collaboration and crossovers between council strategies (August 2021).
- Reforestation, forestry strategy and grants, carbon offsetting via forests / hedgerows / rewilding (September 2021).
- Community engagement (Mission Zero Hub) ( October 2021).
- COP26 outcomes (November 2021).
Climate and Environment Strategy
Many of the discussions in the E&SF will centre around our climate emergency declaration and the Climate and Environment Strategy (C&ES) that has been produced as an outcome of the climate emergency declaration. An initial draft version of the plan was published in December 2020. The plan was adopted by the council in September 2021.
Past meeting minutes
Minutes from past Environment and Sustainability forum meetings can be found below: