Appeals - Rateable Value or Rating List

What to do if you believe the Rateable Value or Rating List entry is incorrect

If you think either your rateable value or rating list entry is incorrect, you can make an appeal asking for it to be changed.

As well as the rate payer the following people may also make an appeal:

  • the owner of the property
  • a Landlord if he/she has an under lease
  • an agent or rating adviser authorised to act on the rate payers’ behalf

The Appeal Process

In order to appeal you must complete an appeal proposal form.  This form can be obtained from the Valuation Office.

Further information on appeals including the grounds on which they can be made can be obtained from the Valuation Office and the Valuation Tribunal Service website

The Valuation Office will advise you of the outcome of their decision. In the meantime you must still pay the bill we have sent you. We cannot recalculate your bill until the Valuation Office has advised us in writing of the new rateable value.

If your appeal is successful the rateable value will be changed and your bill recalculated. However you may find that this makes no difference to the amount you pay.  This is because you have been paying the transitional arrangement charge and not the actual amount due.

Rating Advisers

You do not have to be represented in discussions about rateable value however you may wish to seek advice from a specialist rating adviser.  It is highly recommended that you only use members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) or Institute of Revenues Rating & Valuation (IRRV) since they will be regulated by rules of professional conduct.

If you choose to use an advisor who is not a member of the previously mentioned bodies, you should check that they have the necessary knowledge and expertise, as well as appropriate indemnity insurance. Take great care and, if necessary, seek further advice before entering into any contract. A fact sheet regarding seeking professional advice is available from the Valuation Office.

Please be aware that no one can guarantee a reduction in your rateable value.

To find out more contact the District Valuer and Valuation Office website or telephone 03000 501501.