Temporary Events Notices (TEN)
Temporary Event Notice information
Temporary Event Notice (TEN) authorises the sale or supply of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment or the provision of late night refreshment at premises which are not already authorised by a premises licence or club premises certificate. A TEN is suitable for all events including outdoor events where licensable activities are required for a short duration or one-off event.
The following limits apply:
- no more than 499 people will be attending the event
- the event must last no longer than 168 hours
- the event must not be within 24 hours of another event at the same premises
- there cannot be more than 15 TENs on the same premises in a calendar year
- the 15 TENs can not exceed 21 days in duration.
A Temporary Event Notice must be given in writing to us, the Environmental Health department and the police. If you submit a TEN online, we will inform the relevant parties. There are two types of Temporary Event Notices:
- Standard - The person giving the TEN must normally serve the notice within a minimum of ten working days, exclusive of the day on which the event is to start, and exclusive of the day on which the notice is given
- Late - If less than ten working days’ notice, but more than five working days’ notice is given, it will be treated as a late TEN.
The number of Temporary Event Notices that can be submitted by a personal licence holder is limited to 50 (ten can be ‘late’ notices). For any other person, the number is limited to five (two can be ‘late’ notices). Any received after that period will not be valid and any licensable activities carried on will not be authorised.
Temporary Event Notification Dates for Christmas 2023
This year, Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve fall on a Sunday. You may need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN), if your hours of operation are restricted on a Sunday, as many licences are. If you do need to apply, the deadlines are set out below.
- Last date for TEN application is 8 December 2023
- Last date for late TEN application is 15 December 2023
New Years Eve
- Last date for TEN application is 13 December 2023
- Last date for late TEN application is 20 December 2023
Read our Licencing Act Guidance (PDF, 2.28MB) if you need help.
A fee of £21.00 must be paid at the time an application is made. You will be able to pay using the form.
Apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) online.
We maintain public registers for all granted licences. View a summary of the public register licences, consents, permits and registrations.