HAF provider application process
Supporting community-based organisations to provide healthy and enriching activities and healthy meals for children aged 5 to 16 years.
The Department for Education (DfE) provides funding to local authorities to coordinate a programme of healthy food and enriching activities for disadvantaged children during the 2024 Easter, summer and Christmas school holidays.
As a result of the programme, we want children to:
- receive healthy and nutritious meals
- maintain a healthy level of physical activity
- be happy, have fun and meet new friends
- develop a greater understanding of food, nutrition and other health-related issues
- take part in fun and engaging activities that support their development
- feel safe and secure
- get access to the right support services
- return to school feeling engaged and ready to learn
Families can also benefit when HAF providers include their needs in planning and delivering their programme. This could be through:
- providing opportunities to get involved in cookery classes
- ensuring they are signposted towards other sources of information and support, such as health services or employment and education opportunities