Education, health and care plans (EHCPs)
Since September 2014 the Children and Families Act 2014 became law. This replaced the old Statement of Special Educational Needs and Section 139a Learning Difficulty Assessment.
Parents, carers, children and young people continue to be at the heart of change through Parent's Voice and People Matter. We are also working with a range of people, including schools, colleges, children’s and adult’s social care, the NHS, and the voluntary and community sector.
The EHCP is:
- person-centred engagement and involvement from parents, carers, children and young people in the process
- coordinated assessment processes across education, health, and care services
- focused on outcomes to be achieved for each child and young person
- for youth from birth to age 25 years
- inclusion for parents, carers, children and young people
- legislation that applies equally to all schools, including academies and free schools.
For more information, contact us.
A developed approach for the Isle of Wight
A multi-disciplinary team consists of key stakeholders including parents and carers, schools and health. The purpose of the workstream, and workstream members are set out within the terms of reference. As this process develops, our information will be updated.
The workstream includes the following aspects:
- EHCP process for the Isle of Wight Council and Health CCG
- EHCP format and guidance, including provision sign-off from Health and Social Care
- EHCP professional appendices single format
- family – our story format and guidance
- child and young person’s story – my story format and guidance
- trial EHCP for one EY child and one 16 years plus student
- training for professionals
- raising awareness publicity requirements
- technical briefings on the reforms for professionals across agencies
- approach to mediation and disagreement resolution
- defining quality outcomes
- determined assessment coordinator type role to work with families
- annual review process
- developed conversion plan for existing statements and Section 139a Move On Plans
- trialled conversions from existing statements of SEN and Section 139a Move On Plans in to EHCPs
- impartial information and advice requirements
- step-down process for the decision made not to undertake a statutory assessment or proceed to an EHCP following a statutory assessment.