How to apply

Can I claim Housing Benefit?

Housing Benefit helps you pay your rent if you're on a low income.

You don’t need to apply for Housing benefit if you can get Universal Credit, as this includes money for your housing costs. You’ll need to claim Universal Credit to help with your rent.

You can claim housing benefit if:

  • you and your partner have both reached state pension age
  • you live in supported or temporary accommodation.

You are unlikely to be able to claim housing benefit if:

  • you have savings over £16,000 unless you get Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit)
  • you’re a full-time student in higher education unless you are disabled or have children.

You can upload evidence once you have submitted your form through the portal.

Additional forms

If you are self-employed, you will need to complete the self-employed form if you do not have audited accounts. 

Find out about the minimum income floor if you're applying for Local Council Tax Support.

If you have little to no income, you will need to complete the Nil income form.

If you only get handwritten pay slips, give the certificate of earnings form to your employer.

If you pay for child care from a registered child care and don’t have proof of payments, give the provider a child care costs form for completion.

If you need help paying your Council Tax apply for Local Council Tax Support.

We are authorised to accept claims online.

Backdated claims

The maximum time we can backdate is one month for working age claimants.

You must show there was a ‘good cause’ for not making an earlier claim.

Pension age claimants are automatically entitled to their claim starting three months prior to the application being received.