Isle of Wight Council

Council Tax Reductions

Council Tax reductions guidance

A Council Tax reduction may apply if:

  • Only one adult lives in your home
  • A resident is permanently disabled
  • If there are people in your household we don't count for Council Tax purposes for example a full-time student, a student nurse or a carer.

Or a property can be exempt for a fixed period or it can be exempt indefinitely. The length of exemption varies depending on the criteria of each exemption.

Types of Exemption include:

  • Properties occupied by a person who is severely mentally impaired, for example, dementia
  • Unoccupied properties where the last resident has gone into permanent care
  • Properties left unoccupied where the last resident has passed away
  • Properties occupied only by students

This service information is part of our development to improve our website and can now be found on our new beta website.