Council Tax reductions guidance
A Council Tax reduction may apply if:
- Only one adult lives in your home
- A resident is permanently disabled
- If there are people in your household we don't count for Council Tax purposes for example a full-time student, a student nurse or a carer.
Or a property can be exempt for a fixed period or it can be exempt indefinitely. The length of exemption varies depending on the criteria of each exemption.
Types of Exemption include:
- Properties occupied by a person who is severely mentally impaired, for example, dementia
- Unoccupied properties where the last resident has gone into permanent care
- Properties left unoccupied where the last resident has passed away
- Properties occupied only by students
This service information is part of our development to improve our website and can now be found on our new beta website.