Environment and Sustainability Forum
Purpose of the Environment and Sustainability Forum
In July 2019 the Isle of Wight Council declared a climate emergency. Following this declaration, our Plastics Forum became the Environment and Sustainability Forum (ESF) in the same month.
- an opportunity both for Biosphere residents and other interested parties to input to the management of the Biosphere
- for the Partnership to provide feedback on its progress and achievements in managing the Biosphere
Upcoming E&SF Forum meetings
- 19 October, 18:00 to 19:30
- 16 November, 13:00 to 14:30
- No forum in December
If you would like to attend the ESF, please email email@example.com to have your name added to the mailing list. Currently, all meetings are taking place virtually using Microsoft Teams.
Terms of reference
The Environment and Sustainability forum (ESF) has evolved from the previous Plastics Forum to include a wider narrative that will support the councils work towards sustainability, decarbonisation, and promoting the circular economy.
Following a motion to Full Council regarding setting a Climate Emergency, this forum will support and feed into the task and finish group for the Scrutiny Committee for Environment and Regeneration that has been set up to develop an action plan for the IWC to be net zero carbon by 2030.
The ESF forum will debate and discuss ways in which the Isle of Wight Council and the Isle of Wight can develop sustainable plans and act to promote a sustainable carbon future.
The ESF shall be:
- Non-political in its discussion and debate
- Only deal with issues/matters the Isle of Wight council can affect or facilitate or influence other on island organisations/businesses
- An open platform for discussion and debate on matters of sustainability and net carbon zero
- Agree that if a matter has been noted, discussed and actions agreed it cannot be brought back to the forum without prior consent of the Chair
- A consultee on papers produced by the task & finish group
Roles and Responsibilities
The ESF shall be chaired by a senior manager of the IWC as delegated by the Director of Neighbourhoods. The Chair will ensure that relevant officers of the council are invited to inform and discuss relevant topics on the agenda.
The ESF shall be administered by the Isle of Wight Council staff as delegated by the Director of Neighbourhoods or the Chair
The administrator shall:
- Take accurate minutes of the forum
- Circulate invitations to meetings at least seven days in advance of each forum
- Circulate and agenda, minutes of the previous ESF and any additional supporting information to the ESF forum members at the same time as the meeting invitations
- Ensure public attendance is open
- Publish the meeting dates, minutes and agenda’s in the Isle of Wight Council’s website
- Send copies of the minutes and agendas to the Task and Finish group for climate Change
ESF Members shall:
- Arrive promptly in advance of the start time of each meeting
- Always conduct themselves in a respectful manner to one another during debate and discussion
- Indicate to the chair if they wish to speak and wait for the Chair to indicate it is their turn to speak
How to submit a question
Questions for the Forum must be pre-submitted. This will
allow Council officers to gather information. If you would like to pre-submit
any questions, please email these to firstname.lastname@example.org
one week prior to the meeting date.
Past meeting minutes
Minutes from past ESF meetings can be downloaded from the table below.