Standards and Policies
We are a regulatory service that enforces standards relating to food, health and safety and environmental protection. We also respond to requests for assistance from businesses and complaints from the public on a number of matters. It is also a statutory consultee for other council functions such as development control.
Environmental health has a direct impact into everyone’s lives whether living on, working on or visiting the island. For example, we ensure the food they buy is fit to eat, the places they work or visit are safe, the air they breathe is not filled with contaminants, they have peaceful enjoyment of their home and that the general environment is not overrun with pests or fly tipped waste.
Where possible, we bring about behavioural change through education and advisory means, but where necessary and in line with our Enforcement Policy, we use the legislative powers to ensure compliance. Some of our work is required by statute, some intelligence led and we work jointly with many partners, both from within and outside the Council, to maximise efficiency and to bring about shared outcomes and positive impacts for the island.
Environmental Health falls within the area of Regulatory Services alongside Licensing and Trading Standards. Environmental Health consists of three main service areas of: ·
- Food Safety and Standards
- Health and Safety at Work
- Environmental Protection.
View the Environmental Health Neighbourhoods Enforcement Policy 2021-2024 (PDF, 0.3MB).
Environmental Health work is carried out by suitably qualified and experienced officers only. All officers have either obtained recognised qualifications or are working towards them.
We aim to:
- Respond within three working days to requests for service, notifications of reportable H&S incidents and infectious diseases.
- Respond to consultations within ten working days.
- Resolve complaints or investigations within eight weeks of receipt.
- Produce correspondence following inspections or investigations or in response to communications to ourselves within ten working days.
- Ensure that all complainants details are, unless otherwise agreed, kept confidential.
- Advise you of the outcome of our investigation and any action taken.
- Provide help and advice.