Historic landscapes on the Isle of Wight
The Island’s historic landscape is all around us and contains sites, settlements, fields, lanes and roads, houses and other structures surviving humanity throughout the ages.
Historic Environment Action Plans (HEAPs) are a way of characterising the historic environment of local areas. They provide an overview of the actions and plans needed to manage and conserve the resource for future generations.
The Isle of Wight Historic Environment Action Plan
The Isle of Wight HEAP draws on the programme of Historic Landscape Characterisation (HLC) which consists of a digital map displaying HLC types representing the historic dimensions of the present day landscape.
Completed in 2008, the Isle of Wight HLC project was funded by English Heritage.
The Island's HEAP identifies areas of importance for archaeology, the historic landscape and the historic built environment and sets out strategies for their local management.
A key aim is to promote community understanding, conservation, and management of the historic environment.
The HEAP is treated as background evidence in planning matters connected with the historic environment. In terms of general landscape management, the HEAP facilitates the assessment of Countryside Stewardship applications, woodland plans, and other proposals for our countryside.
HEAP documents and reports
You can download or request paper copies of the HEAP Area and Type reports. Contact the County Archaeology and Historic Environment Service.
- Introduction to the HEAP (PDF, 2.15MB, 16 pages)
- Isle of Wight Overview HEAP (PDF, 1.3MB, 14 pages)
- HEAP area maps (PDF, 1.6MB)
HEAP area reports
- Arreton Valley HEAP (PDF, 119KB)
- Atherfield Coastal Plain HEAP (PDF, 213KB, 9 pages)
- Brading Haven and Bembridge Isle HEAP (PDF, 263KB, 14 pages)
- East Wight Chalk Ridge HEAP (PDF, 218KB, 10 pages) Freshwater Isle HEAP (PDF, 254KB, 14 pages)
- Newchurch Environs and Sandown Bay HEAP (PDF, 143KB)
- Northern Lowlands HEAP (PDF, 256KB, 15 pages)
- South West Wight Coastal Zone HEAP (PDF, 253KB, 14 pages)
- South Wight Downland Edge HEAP (PDF, 2120KB, 9 pages)
- South Wight Downland HEAP (PDF, 242KB, 13 pages)
- South Wight Sandstone and Gravel HEAP (PDF, 227KB, 11 pages)
- The Undercliff HEAP (PDF, 277KB, 17 pages)
- Thorley Wellow Plain HEAP (PDF, 253KB, 13 pages)
- West Wight Chalk Downland HEAP (PDF, 256KB, 15 pages)
- West Wight Downland Edge and Sandstone Ridge HEAP (PDF, 142KB)
HEAP type reports
- Climate Change HEAP (PDF, 353KB, 25 pages)
- Designed Landscapes HEAP (PDF, 2.8MB, 122 pages)
- Military HEAP PDF, 455KB, 38 pages)
- Routeways HEAP (PDF, 371KB, 29 pages)
- Rural Settlement HEAP (PDF, 263KB, 16 pages)
- Urban Settlement HEAP (PDF, 6.18MB, 51 pages)
- HEAP Glossary (PDF, 144KB, 12 pages)
- HEAP References (PDF, 105KB, 6 pages)
The HEAP Project has been supported by the AONB Sustainable Development Fund and Leader.