The Record Office holds several series of Ordnance Survey maps from 1793 to 1973, which are available in the searchroom. As the maps have been collected from a variety of sources, we do not hold every edition of every map of the Island. Lists of the map editions up to 1938 are available. Lists of map editions published after 1938 are currently under construction.
- Ordnance Survey 1793 (Pub 1810) (PDF, 28.7KB, 1 page) – scale 6” to the mile
- Ordnance Survey 1862-1938 (PDF, 1.2MB, 10 pages) – scale 25” to the mile
- Ordnance Survey 1862-1938 (PDF, 273KB, 4 pages) – scale 6” to the mile
- Ordnance Survey 1965 – scale 1-50.688
- Ordnance Survey 1971 – scale 1-2500
- Ordnance Survey 1971 – scale 1-1250
The Record Office holds Tithe Maps and Apportionments, as well as a variety of correspondence relating to valuations for the Tithe Commutation Act 1836. Three copies of tithe maps were made when they were drawn, one held in the parish, one for the Diocesan office and one for the Inland Revenue.
The copies held at this office were either for the parish or Diocese, while the Inland Revenue copies are held at the National Archive in Kew. A small number of the maps may also have originally been commissioned for individual landowners of their own estates and not the whole parish.
A series of images of the Freshwater Tithe Map are available:
- Freshwater village (2.29MB)
- Norton (PDF, 2.46MB)
- Easton (PDF, 2.46MB)
- Weston (PDF, 2.22MB)
- Middleton (PDF, 2.35MB)
Access the tithe records catalogue (PDF, 131KB) held at this office.