Business waste Duty of Care

As a business you must deal responsibly with any waste your business produces in England. This is known as your 'duty of care'.

Depending on what your business is or does, you may be classified as either Commercial or Industrial Waste.

View The Controlled Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2012.

You must, as a business:

  • keep waste to a minimum by doing everything you reasonably can to prevent, reuse, recycle or recover waste (in that order)
  • sort and store your waste securely
  • have a waste transfer note for each load of waste that leaves your premises showing where the waste is going to
  • check if your waste carrier is a registered waste carrier with the Environment Agency. If they are not registered, do not allow the waste carrier to dispose of your waste illegally. Report them online to Crimestoppers or call 0800 555 111.

You have extra responsibilities if you’re dealing with hazardous waste.

More information on this can be found on GOV.UK.

Commercial/Industrial waste includes any waste that comes from:

  • any commercial activity - including any you run from your home
  • construction
  • demolition
  • industry
  • tourism Including B&B’s, Guest houses, Hotels and Holiday lettings
  • agriculture waste produced in someone else’s home whilst providing professional services (this includes gardening, building, healthcare).

All businesses must make sure their waste is disposed of safely, appropriately, and legally, either by themselves or by a licensed waste carrier.

Businesses that are contracted to carry somebody else’s waste must hold a valid Waste Carriers’ License. Businesses can be fined up to £5,000 by the Environment Agency if they do not have a valid Waste Carriers License.

How to dispose of commercial, business or trade waste

You can arrange for a trade waste collection or you may take your waste to the commercial waste and recycling centre.