Housing Benefit

About Housing Benefit and How to Apply

Help with paying your rent

Most people on the Isle of Wight no longer need to claim Housing Benefit because they can get Universal Credit, which includes money for your rent.  Before you make your claim for Universal Credit,please check if any of the exceptions mean that you should still claim Housing Benefit

  • to apply for Universal Credit please apply through the government website.
  • if you are not eligible for Universal Credit, then please apply for Housing Benefit below.  


Help with paying your Council Tax  

If you need help paying your Council Tax, then apply for Local Council Tax Support.  Some people with savings cannot get help so don't apply if you are working age and have savings of over £6,000, or if you are a pensioner with over £16,000.

Discover how much you may be awarded

Use our online benefits calculator to work out how much money they might get. The benefits calculator will provide you with an estimate of how much you may be awarded.  If you are not sure that you will get benefits, we think you will find this online tool helpful. 

Apply through our online Customer Portal for Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax Support

Local Council Tax Support (LCTS)

If you are no longer able to claim Housing Benefit but you still have to pay Council Tax, you may be eligible for LCTS.  Apply for Local Council Tax Support online Please note: you cannot apply for Local Council Tax Support (LCTS) at the Jobcentre Plus or Pension Service. 

You will be required to provide evidence in support of your claim, view a list of documents that may be required.

Authorised to accept Housing Benefit claims

The Isle of Wight Council is authorised to accept Housing Benefit claims that have been completed electronically through the use of our approved electronic form. View the signed directive  (PDF, 193.46 KB, 2 Pages).

Reporting Benefit Fraud

The Department of Works and Pension (DWP) are responsible for investigation of Housing Benefit Fraud together with Social Security Benefits.

To make sure the money goes to those who need it please contact the DWP if you know of anyone who is claiming benefit to which they are not entitled.  This could be a person claiming in a name you know to be false, in more than one name or from more than one address.  They also need to know if someone is claiming Income Support, or Job Seekers Allowance and working full-time.  Further information on how to report benefit fraud can be found on the GOV.UK website.

You can also contact the DWP on their National Benefit Fraud Hotline 0800 854 440 or by post to NBFH, PO Box 224, PR1 1GP.

For more information on relevant information which may affect you please select from the links below: