Council Tax Reductions
Also known as: Council Tax Discounts, Council Tax Exemptions, Disabled Relief
Service Description: In certain cases you may qualify for a Council Tax reduction.
A reduction may apply if:
• Only one adult lives in your home
• A resident is permanently disabled
• If there are people in your household we don't count for Council Tax purposes for example a full-time student, a student nurse or a carer.
For more information regarding Discounts or Disregards please click Discounts above.
A property can be exempt for a fixed period or it can be exempt indefinitely. The length of exemption varies depending on the criteria of each exemption.
Types of Exemption include:
• Properties occupied by a person who is severely mentally impaired e.g dementia
• Unoccupied properties where the last resident has gone into permanent care
• Properties left unoccupied where the last resident has passed away
• Properties occupied only by students
For more information regarding please click Exemptions above.
Discounts for unoccupied properties were abolished on the 1st April 2017. For more information please click Empty Properties Above.