Housing Enforcement

Landlords Responsibilities


Please see the following Government guides:

Eviction Guide

Landlord & Tenant Guide

The advice provided on this web page can help to get your landlord to complete repairs on residential properties with short leases (short leases means less than 7 years).

You must let your landlord know you have a problem, your landlord cannot be expected to carry out repairs unless they are told about the problem. Not all landlords arrange for the work themselves; some employ a managing agent, often an estate agent to act for them, so it might take a while for the repair to be fixed.

If you think the landlord or agent should be doing repairs you must let them know, preferably in writing. It is wise to keep a copy of all of the letters you write and all of the responses that you are sent you may need to refer to them or use them as evidence at a later date.

Always look at your contract to see what you landlord has agreed with you you may be able to enforce this to help get the problem fixed.

You may be able to take your own action under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 sections 8 to 11, which could provide compensation and/or force the landlord to undertake repairs. Please Note: You should seek legal advice before commencing any action yourself.

View or download a copy of our help booklet A guide for landlords and tenants (PDF, 419KB, 20 pages).

Under the new Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018, you, as a tenant, now have the Right to take private legal action against your landlord, where your landlord fails to keep their property in a good condition. The Guidance notes for this can be found 'here'.

Getting the Isle of Wight Council involved.

If, after telling your landlord about repairs, no action is taken within a reasonable time period, the Council can assist you with advice and may be able to intervene and possibly take enforcement action, either informally or by the service of a notice on your landlord or managing agent.

The Housing Section of the Council, work to the Enforcement Concordat, which encourages informal communications to start with, and we seek to encourage, persuade, and then enforce.

It is important to be aware that involvement by the Council will not result in immediate repairs as intervention often follows a set procedure.

How to get the Council involved.

Please contact the Housing Renewal Team, with your general enquiry by using our online Send a Message to service form .

To request our services please complete and submit the online Housing Enforcement service request form . Please note: you will need to read the guidance notes, provided in the online service request form before completing the form.

When your enquiry has been received by the Housing Renewal Team, it will be allocated to a team member and a Housing Renewal Officer will contact you to speak to you about your problems and advise you on the best course of action. A visit may be arranged with you to look at your issues and to let you know if the Council can help you.

When the Council becomes involved, it is obliged to take matters up with the landlord.

Informing the landlord the council is involved.

We will require your landlords’ details prior to an Officer visiting the property. The Council need your landlords’ details because we will need to contact your Landlord and let them know our intention to visit your property.

The council’s housing renewal enforcement policy.

The aim of the Housing Renewal Team is to raise the standard of private sector housing conditions, improve home safety, bring empty properties back into use and to intervene where private drainage is causing a nuisance.  The principles of good enforcement can be found in our housing renewal enforcement policy.

View or download a copy of the councils housing renewal enforcement policy (PDF, 321KB, 63 pages).

The council's housing renewal GDPR policy.

Privacy policy changes; whilst carrying out our duties and work we collect personal data. The General Data Protection Regulation gives you much more control over your personal information and transparency around how it is used.

Our updated privacy policy in regard to landlord and tenant complaints gives you information about how and why we collect personal data, how we keep your data safe, who we may share any data with and who you can contact to enquire about this.

To view the privacy statement/ notice for Housing Standards and Empty Properties. (PDF, 440 KB, 1 page).


Advice for landlords looking to rent or choosing an agent.

Please visit the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) website to view the private rental sector code of practice .

Please also see the Governments 'Client Money protection Schemes for Property Agents' Regulations for approval and designation of schemes, and the 'Clients Money protection schemes for property Agents' Regulations for requirement to belong to a scheme.

Advice for tenants looking to rent a property.

Please see the Governments 'How to Rent' checklist on the GOV.UK website.

Advice for Landlords regarding Universal Credit.

Please see the Governments  'top tips' to raise awareness and understanding of Universal Credit on the GOV.UK website