Friends of Cemeteries
The Isle of Wight Council cemeteries have a small number of friends groups, that over recent years have taken on the challenge of researching all the graves within the cemeteries. They have secured lottery heritage funding which has enabled them to restore the chapels within these cemeteries.
To see a list of all council managed cemeteries.
For further information on the friends groups please visit their websites, provided in the information below.
Ryde Social Heritage Group
RSHG exist to:
- research, document and share information about
- the history of Ryde, Isle of Wight, including Ryde Cemetery and the development of the town,
- the people, their lives and deaths,
- businesses and entertainments.
Website: Ryde Social Heritage Group
Friends of Northwood Cemetery
They will be providing a display and cemetery history information
Website: Friends of Northwood Cemetery
The Objects of the Friends of Northwood Cemetery are:
- To promote the heritage, preservation, restoration and maintenance of Northwood Cemetery including its chapels and other standing structures for the public benefit;
- To promote and maintain the burial records of Northwood Cemetery for the public benefit; and
- To promote the conservation of the landscape, arboreta, flora and wildlife of Northwood Cemetery for the public benefit.