Registration of Marriages and Civil Partnerships

Giving Notice

Giving Notice of Your Intention Civil Marriage or Civil Partnership

Please Note: If you are planning to be married in the Church of England, you should speak to your parish priest, who will usually arrange for banns to be read.

For any other ceremony, whether Register Office, licensed venue or religious ceremony in a church or building other than the established church (Church of England ), you will need to give a Notice of Marriage/Civil Partnership at your local Register Office.  You will need to make an appointment.  Our contact information can be found in the 'Contact' tab above.

You may book your ceremony two years in advance but you cannot give notice of your intention to marry more than one year in advance.

The notice is a legal document which must be given in person by both the Bride/Groom/Civil Partner.  A friend or relative cannot do this for you regardless of your circumstances.

You must both have lived continuously in any one district of England or Wales for the eight days immediately before the date you give notice of your marriage/civil partnership.  It does not matter if either of you move to a different address after the notice has been given.  If you both live in the same district you should attend together to give your notices of marriage.

Once you have both given notice you must wait at least 28 clear days before the marriage/civil partnership can take place. 

The 'authority for marriage' or 'civil partnership schedule' is the legal document which allows your ceremony to take place, and it is valid for 12 months from the date that you gave the notice of marriage/civil partnership.

A fee is charged for giving a Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership - this is currently £35.00 per person (April 2020).

If you have any difficulties giving your notices please contact us as soon as possible. Contact us by using the online 'send a message to service form' alternatively our contact information can be found in the 'Contact' tab above.

Documents You Need to Show Us

When you give your notice of marriage or civil partnership you will need to show the Superintendent Registrar certain documents these are:

  • Identification - current passport or two other forms of identification, eg. full birth certificate, photocard driving licence, DWP letter or HMRC letter.
  • If previously married, or entered into a civil partnership, there needs to be evidence to show how the last marriage or civil partnership ended - decree absolute, dissolution document or death certificate.
  • If known by any other name, document to support the change - Deed Poll or statutory declaration.
  • Evidence of address, dated within the last month - bank statement or utility bill.
  • Consent form - if either of you is under 18 you will need a consent form signed by the person who is responsible for you.

Please note: Your Marriage or Civil Partnership cannot go ahead unless the legal formalities have been completed.

Conversion of Civil Partnership to Marriage

There is now provision for couples to convert civil partnerships to marriage if they choose to do so.  Please contact the Register Office for more information.  Please contact us by using the online 'send a message to service form' alternatively our contact information can be found in the 'Contact' tab above.