We are a team that can provide advice and information to early years settings. We provide information on how the setting might meet the needs of a child with a Special Educational Need or Disability (SEND).
Our Advisors enable Special Educational Needs Co-ordinators (SENCo) and staff working in childcare settings to develop an inclusive early learning environment. This environment will help them to support children.
The SENCo is crucial in childcare settings. They support early identification and intervention for children with special educational needs. They are a useful contact if you have any concerns about your child’s development.
Their responsibilities include:
- Co-ordinating a setting’s recording,
- ensuring close working relationships with parents,
- ensuring liaison with outside agencies about a child’s additional needs,
- helping to ensure smooth transitions for children.
We provide a service to families with children with SEND called Portage. Find out more about Portage.
Support service for childcare settings*
This service is for childcare providers. Find out more about support for childcare settings.
* A typical childcare setting is known as: pre-school, nursery or child minder.
Children in Care
Our Advisors do not complete Personal Education Plans (PEP) for children in care. Find out more about Virtual School (iow.gov.uk).
The Local Offer website lists various Early Years SEN services that may provide extra support and advice.