Key Stage 1 and 2
Free School Meals - Reception, Years 1 and 2
From September 2014 all pupils in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 in state-funded schools in England are eligible for free school meals. This includes academies, free schools, pupil referral units and alternative provision as well as maintained schools. Although you do not have to complete an application form to receive free school meals in these year groups, if you receive any of the benefits listed below additional money is provided to the school by central government for every child whose parent is in receipt one of the benefits listed.
To access this additional funding for your primary school you would be required to complete an Application for Free School Meals found in the 'Do it online' tab above.
- Income support.
- Income based’ jobseeker’s allowance.
- Income related employment and support allowance.
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
- The quaranteed element of State Pension Credit.
- Child tax credit (provided you do not receive working tax credit and have an annual income, as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs, that does not currently exceed £16,190).
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
- Universal Credit.
Children who receive any of the above benefits in their own right (ie they get benefits payments directly, instead of through a parent or guardian) can also apply for free school meals.